Re: Apple's Pro/Consumer distinction...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone here think that sometime in the near future Apple will start applying their color schemes to their hardware? (i.e.- Black for Pro, white for Consumer)

I would LOVE to see a gloss black G4 and an iodized Black Ti Powerbook. Coupled with a Snow iMac and iceBook... I think it'd be real classy.

Mac Guru

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I seriously doubt that. As I mentioned on another thread, I think Apple is moving to black as its pro MARKETING color (PowerMac G4, Titanium, and FCP 3 boxes), but not necessarily for the color of the machines themselves.

I think it's pretty obvious that Apple is moving towards metals, like titanium in the PowerBook and stainless steel in the iPod, and will probably carry this over into the PowerMacs. I can easily see the G5 and LCD iMac having chrome highlights and maybe one having a chrome Apple logo. The iMac will probably just have more glossy white, whereas the G5 will probbaly be more clearish/graphite/silverish.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    It could happen but I doubt it will.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Remeber when the TiBook first came out? There was all kinds of talk about colorizing the exterior. They said it could be anodized pretty every color but black.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    A chrome Apple logo? Please say it ain't so...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I think that would be cool personally.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Tarbash:

<strong>I think Apple is moving to black as its pro MARKETING color (PowerMac G4, Titanium, and FCP 3 boxes), but not necessarily for the color of the machines themselves.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I find this interesting, seeing as Apple's mai marketing color has been white. All the ads have been white. Why a switch to the polar opposite?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by scorpiony2j:

<strong>

I find this interesting, seeing as Apple's mai marketing color has been white. All the ads have been white. Why a switch to the polar opposite?</strong><hr></blockquote>

To differentiate the pro products from the consumer ones.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    i think we'll see when the NEW IMACS come out where apple is heading with colors.....i hope they do a little more with ibooks and powerbooks cause they've been the same color the whole time....apple should just have a couple colors per product, except PM which looks good as it is. atleast they should try something with the ibook, cause it might actually help sales
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I still contend that Apple seems to be moving towards gloss white with metal/chrome trim.

The "Apple" in the "About this Mac" menu (OS X) as well as the login screen changed to a differant, more "Aqua-like" blue colour... and all of the hardware/software released in the last 9 months or so has been glossy white and or metal.

I think we'll see this across the board, with the LCD iMacs and new PowerMacs looking similar to the iBook's white but with an Aqua-blue Apple on the side.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Does apple actually make any "Pro" machines?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by spooky:

<strong>Does apple actually make any "Pro" machines?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, the PowerBooks.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by spooky:

<strong>Does apple actually make any "Pro" machines?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The main audience of the PowerMacs is graphics professionals.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by discstickers:

<strong>

The main audience of the PowerMacs is graphics professionals.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm sure he knows that. I think he was reffering to the specs on the G4s not what should be considered a "Pro" machine. Correct me if I'm wrong, spooky.