iBook G4

Comments

• Reply 141 of 235
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    From apple.com

" The world?s best-loved consumer portable gets an impressive makeover with a superfast PowerPC G4 processor, a new architecture, a slot-loading optical drive and enhanced wireless networking capabilities. Plus Mac OS X v10.3 Panther, the world?s most advanced operating system. "

Ooh.. This Saturday!

I can't wait to get to the store Saturday morning and be waiting at the door..

Jimzip
  • Reply 142 of 235
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Sneaky way to get it early
  • Reply 143 of 235
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Damn Australia and our cruddy $..

Panther - $229

iBook...12" $2255

...........14" $2626

Arg.. That's educational pricing too..

Jimzip
  • Reply 144 of 235
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    All I can say is WOW, what a surprise!

Quote:

Originally posted by Phroggy

With the Powerbook, for only an extra $500 USD, you get:An extra 200MHz
    256 MB soldered to the board (iBook: 128 on board/128 expansion)
    1.256GB memory ceiling (iBook: STILL 640)
    40, 60, 80 gig drive (iBook: 30, 40, 60)
    Built-in Bluetooth
    DVI
    Double the L2 cache
    GeForce FX Go5200 vs. Radeon 9200 and
    Hackless Monitor Spanning

Not to mention the 12" PB is smaller and lighter, and it's on Rev B.

After owning PowerBooks for years, I switched to an iBook (Dual USB) in May 2001 because it was significantly smaller and lighter than the Titanium PowerBook. I have longed to return to the PowerBook camp ever since.

The Rev.A 12-inch PowerBook this January made the G4 available in the same 12-inch package. But I wanted DVI and waited for Rev.B. Then I decided to wait for Panther. And now there's the G4 iBook to contend with. After comparing 12-inch PowerBook and G4 iBook there's no question in my mind: The 12-inch PowerBook will be mine. The extra memory, processor speed and monitor spanning/DVI are worth an extra $400 (educational price is $999 for iBook v. $1399 for PowerBook) to me.

There are, however, two points that favor the iBook:

1. iBook has a 50W battery for 6 hour battery life (PB has 47W for 5 hours)

2. iBook is still more rugged (Alu will dent)

And of course the price/performance value of the iBook continues to be simply stellar.

Escher
  • Reply 145 of 235
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Do it.......buy the PB... you know you want to.

iBook is still more rugged

I beg to differ, the Alu seems to scratch less and marks wipe off. The 12" PB is the strongest laptop Apple has built in a long time.
  • Reply 146 of 235
    Jimzip, are you sure about those prices? For me, the educational store says the following:

Quote:

Originally posted by Jimzip

Damn Australia and our cruddy $..

Panther - $229

$129 educational; $229 full-price

Quote:

iBook...12" $2255

$1785.30

Quote:

...........14" $2626

$2161.5 or $2443.1, depending on processor speed

Quote:

Arg.. That's educational pricing too..

Jimzip [/B]

Its not the edu price for me; in fact, I'm wondering whose price it is... did you BTO these machines and forget to mention it?
  • Reply 147 of 235
    i just sold my ibook 600 and i was trying to get an old powermac g4 but now i may just buy a g4 ibook, they are damn cheap here in canada now, only 1500. but also the combo drive emac is only 1100 now with a 1Ghz processor, also tempting. i thought i would have to give up portability to get a g4 of a decent speed i could actually afford. now im more confused than ever :S
  • Reply 148 of 235
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

... don't forget: the new 12" 800MHz G4 iBook will actually be slower than the previous 800 MHz iBook G3 iBook for non-Altivec stuff because of the smaller cache. It should perfom comparably to the 800 TiBook which is slower then the 800 G3 iBook for non-Altivec tasks!

Maybe not -- the iBook G4 uses the 133 MHz MPX bus w/ DDR266, replacing the iBook G3's 100 MHz 60x bus w/ SDRAM100. This may make up for the reduction in L2 cache. While individual applications may not use AltiVec directly, many key functions in the OS do use it for things like memory management, networking, graphics, and audio. The amount of FPU usage has also been increasing steadily (thanks to things like Quartz) and the G4's FPU is better. While the 7445's pipelines are longer, it has more execution units, more rename registers, better branch prediction, more look aside tables and internal buffers, etc. We'll have to wait for benchmarks before making a pronouncement, but in most cases I think the new machines will kick butt.

Oh, and those people saying that the 12" PB's graphics are inferior should update their info -- the current 12" PB has a geForceFX Go5200, which ought to outperform the R9200 somewhat. nVidia's drivers will hopefully be updated soon (Panther?).
  • Reply 149 of 235
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Apple has impressed. People should pull out the most recent quote from the firm about how the G3 is a stellar chip for the iBook that will continue to power it for a long time.

I don't think it's too likely that Apple has rebranded a non-altivec chip a G4. And that's simply because it wouldn't be in the company's best interest. There's already enough overlap between the iBook 12" and PB 12", and Apple is interested in selling the PB over the iBook (remember, more expensive = higher margins).
  • Reply 150 of 235
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Let's take equal configurations of 12" PB and 12" iBook: 256Mb of memory, internal Bluetooth, 40Gb HD.

Powerbook is 1.950,78 euros, iBook is 1.278,00 euros.

That is a difference of 672,78 euros. No way in hell a better keyboard and a 25% speed bump are worth that much.

I see 1.912.40 euros on the French Apple web site, but still, that pricing is a bit whacked.

The base configurations in US dollars start out $1099 and $1599, a $500 difference, already a lot less that 672.78 euros. Together, adding internal Bluetooth and bumping the iBook's drive from 30 GB to 40 GB increases the iBook's price by $75, narrowing the difference with the PB to $425 -- equivalent to about $360 euros, at today's rate of exchange.

I can't imagine why the actual euro gap is so much bigger than the dollar gap in pricing between the two models. Some weird tariff on importing aluminum?
  • Reply 151 of 235
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hey, what's that, 14" screens you say?

It's obvious that from here on out the 12" model will be Apple's half hearted effort. Their bottom iBook usually has been (ie, CD-rom only, not even DVD-rom, crappy opaque case -- before they all got it, etc etc...)

The speed difference is 133-200 vs the 14" models, and I'd look for that to grow over as the models are revised.

14" is the future, as I pointed out repeatedly! And, it was extremely overdue to move the iBook to a larger screen. The resolution is fine. iBooks are NOT made for the extreme mobility set. They're made for the budget buyer, and as budget machines, they look like pretty great deals! Because Apple has again disabled spanning, the bigger screen is a must for the budget buyer, it instantly restores the value proposition of the iBook (relative to their competition) The pixel pitch also helps a lot of the people who will buy these. Plenty of assinine web pages still exist, and this buyer will be an Office/web user primarily. Big pixels equals comfortable viewing.

What this update does is makea nice progression of options from budget to compact pro machine.

The 12" PB offers a lot of extras (more memory/storage/DVD, a better/stronger hinge/case and keyboard) and the price differences are not as huge as you may guess if you bump the RAM, HD, and add BT to the iBook configs.

But the options are there. Want a cheap machine? the iBook 12 is nice. Want a real solid consumer machine? The 14"ers are real nice too. Want a sleek traveling pro machine with DVD burning? The PB12 is still a great value for a fully loaded compact machine.

As I have stated all along, compact dimensions will come at a premium, though Apple will add niceities not found on the consumer models -- case/keyboard/burning options.
  • Reply 152 of 235
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    12PB VS 12/14 IBOOK

which will run vpc 6.1 2k pro better? This update confuses me, or is it a toss up between the 12pb and the 14ibook; or just minimal differences--lets face it saving 4oo would pay for the ipod. if the ibook stayed g3 at 1gz then no brainer.

i will be buying a laptop for my wife with ipod, but i have one program that needs vpc

help me understand the functional differences
  • Reply 153 of 235
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Hey, what's that, 14" screens you say?

It's obvious that from here on out the 12" model will be Apple's half hearted effort. Their bottom iBook usually has been (ie, CD-rom only, not even DVD-rom, crappy opaque case -- before they all got it, etc etc...)

The speed difference is 133-200 vs the 14" models, and I'd look for that to grow over as the models are revised.

14" is the future, as I pointed out repeatedly! And, it was extremely overdue to move the iBook to a larger screen. The resolution is fine. iBooks are NOT made for the extreme mobility set. They're made for the budget buyer, and as budget machines, they look like pretty great deals! Because Apple has again disabled spanning, the bigger screen is a must for the budget buyer, it instantly restores the value proposition of the iBook (relative to their competition) The pixel pitch also helps a lot of the people who will buy these. Plenty of assinine web pages still exist, and this buyer will be an Office/web user primarily. Big pixels equals comfortable viewing.

What this update does is makea nice progression of options from budget to compact pro machine.

The 12" PB offers a lot of extras (more memory/storage/DVD, a better/stronger hinge/case and keyboard) and the price differences are not as huge as you may guess if you bump the RAM, HD, and add BT to the iBook configs.

But the options are there. Want a cheap machine? the iBook 12 is nice. Want a real solid consumer machine? The 14"ers are real nice too. Want a sleek traveling pro machine with DVD burning? The PB12 is still a great value for a fully loaded compact machine.

As I have stated all along, compact dimensions will come at a premium, though Apple will add niceities not found on the consumer models -- case/keyboard/burning options.

In marketing speak, it's called differentiation.

If the "low-end" 12" model featured a 1GHz G4, wouldn't be much reason to buy the top-end model (aside from the bigger screen).

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the screen, but it'll be a pretty tough pick between the 12" model at $1400 (CND educational) and the 17" mid-range model at $1700 CND.
  • Reply 154 of 235
    rewesrewes Posts: 40member
    Few questions before I go and buy my iBook.

1) The new iBook has the resolution of 1024x768. So does that mean that I can´t use an external 19" monitor with the resolution of 1280x1024 with it?

2) Does the apple logo on the top/cover/case(whatever) "glow"?

Thanks
  • Reply 155 of 235
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

12PB VS 12/14 IBOOK

which will run vpc 6.1 2k pro better?

VPC is cache (L2 and L3) hungry. I would say the powerbook with double the L2 cache will manage better, perhaps significantly better.
  • Reply 156 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rewes

1) The new iBook has the resolution of 1024x768. So does that mean that I can´t use an external 19" monitor with the resolution of 1280x1024 with it?

Thanks

1) officially, only Video Mirroring is supported (same res as main screen)

so out of the box, your iBook will only drive externals at 1024x768 max

_unofficially_, with the Spanning hack, current iBook users report externals up to 1600x1200.

if the same hack (or variation of it) still works, you could see higher res on an external 19"

2) current iBooks do have the lid Apple lit by the screen backlight.

Almost certain the new ones will maintain this 'feature'.
  • Reply 157 of 235
    666666 Posts: 134member
    ANY updates a good update. I just got my 1.25 pbook and i don't really care if they release a g5 next week, i'm in luv!!!

(except for the screen issues.... but they'll fix it, so whatever!)8)
  • Reply 158 of 235
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rewes

Thanks

When using the laptop as intended by Apple (from the factory), you will only be able to MIRROR the display at 1024x768 (or 800x600 or 640x480 if you want). That means that the built in display and the external display will display the same exact thing. The internal display can't go to 1280x1024 so no, you will not be able to run an external monitor at that resolution. The iBook is only intended to be used for connecting to projectors, really.

However, there is a "spanning hack" that will let you use external monitors in extended desktop mode - instead of displaying the same thing as your built-in display, it will increase your screen area and let you use both screens at once. That goes up to 1600x1200 I think. The spanning hack will officially void your warranty but don't worry, I've sent my iBook in for warranty repairs after doing the hack and Apple didn't say anything to me about it. I think it's safe but if you have doubts wait until other people try it with their new G4 iBooks.

Although I haven't seen one in person, I'm assuming the Apple logo glows because every previous revision of the iBook, all the way back to the 500 MHz dual USB ones, had a glowing Apple logo.
  • Reply 159 of 235
    Why 12" iBook is only 800MHz? Sometimes smaller laptop is better, if you travel a lot.
  • Reply 160 of 235
    rewesrewes Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

1) officially, only Video Mirroring is supported (same res as main screen)

so out of the box, your iBook will only drive externals at 1024x768 max

_unofficially_, with the Spanning hack, current iBook users report externals up to 1600x1200.

if the same hack (or variation of it) still works, you could see higher res on an external 19"

2) current iBooks do have the lid Apple lit by the screen backlight.

Almost certain the new ones will maintain this 'feature'.

Thats a good news. Thanks