iBook G4 and DivX

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I allmost ordered my new (and first) mac, but then it hit me.

I have an LAN at home that has two Windows XP PC´s connected to it. I have 250GB(NTFS) hardrive in the other and 80GB(NTFS) in the other. Is it possible to

1)Connect to those two PC´s through my iBook?

2)Watch DivX movies (on PC) on my mac?

3)Copy files to and from iBook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    1) physical connection is no problem. SAMBA should take care of the rest. (not sure about the NTFS thong though)

2) get VLC (video lan client). check versiontracker.com for it.

3) see number 1
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    You can read NTFS volumes, but I don't think the SAMBA protocol has the ability to write to an NTFS volume.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    You can read and write to NTFS volumes with Samba. I have windows 2000 and 2003 servers on the same network as my macs and I map NTFS shares to my macs all the time. Works like a charm. has worked well since Jaguar, but it now works superbly with Panther.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    The only problem I have found is (I am networking to Windows 2000) that it saves the .DS_Store files in EVERY folder and is very annoying. Other than that, it's great.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Um no. MPLayer is better than VLC for anything but DVD/VCD. For example Family Guy DVDs do not work at all in DVD Player, they have graphic glitches, but work fine in VLC. MPlayer has a better interface too.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    There is also an official DivX codec available.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so

yes

yes

yes
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so

yes

yes