Does anybody NOT have white spots on thier 15" AlBook?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Does anyone have any pictures of these "spots"? Know what they're from? They have me intrigued. I never heard of any LCD's developing spots on them, from any company. Seem's like Apple's quality control's gone south for the winter.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    I had an IBM thinkpad from my office. It has had the screen replaced 2 times due to white spots. I got upgraded & gave the old one to one of my managers (work for me), anyway, new IBM thinkpad doesn't have these issues. But it was a pretty common problem for certain versions of the ibm thinkpads.

They seem to have gotten it taken care of, but it seems apple is now having the problem.

BTW, mine usually developed after about 3 months of solid use.

And also, I use MACS at home.. have to use PC's for the company.

Good luck with your PB's... I just ordered a new ibook G4 800... waiting anxiously.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rsgunther

I had an IBM thinkpad from my office. It has had the screen replaced 2 times due to white spots. I got upgraded & gave the old one to one of my managers (work for me), anyway, new IBM thinkpad doesn't have these issues. But it was a pretty common problem for certain versions of the ibm thinkpads.

They seem to have gotten it taken care of, but it seems apple is now having the problem.

BTW, mine usually developed after about 3 months of solid use.

And also, I use MACS at home.. have to use PC's for the company.

Good luck with your PB's... I just ordered a new ibook G4 800... waiting anxiously.

wise choice. I wish I had waited...

and yes, I have a fleet of IBM t23s at work, and some have white blotches on the screen also.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    anyone have a photo or something of these white spots?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Yeah.. check out this sh!t...

Click here to see Apple's quality control

I'm on my FOURTH one and the ones on #4 are getting REALLY nasty.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Funny how the white spots are more visible over a white backdrop
  • Reply 27 of 36
    666666 Posts: 134member
    I have 2 white spots, apple australia tryed to pretend they hadn't heard of it! I've gotta take it into an apple reseller to look at it. The spots are getting worse, and i'm pretty tolerant of this kinda stuff, but it's gotta be fixed now. It's really noticable on this site funnily enuff, watching DVD's they're not very noticable at all.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Nothin' here... 8)

And I've had it for over a month!
  • Reply 29 of 36
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I'm intrigued by the characterization of problem being due to foam supports. Someone who knows a repair facility well enough needs to take a picture of the innards of the screen.

My spots are definitely getting worse, though at a slower pace than the original set. Spot number two showed up this weekend.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ethar

Nothin' here... 8)

And I've had it for over a month!

Makes me jealous. At first glance of your picture i thought u did have a white spot...but then i realized it was the white spot on my screen...moving the window confirmed this

On hold for the past 15min with applecare...gotta go to class soon though, very frustrated.

I can't afford to lose my computer for more than a few days at this point of the year, due to projects and such. Will they let me keep it until the winter break in december and then sent it for repair?
  • Reply 31 of 36
    my spots are stating to grow, but i can live with them for now. i'm curious now to see the insides of the top lid. i wish kodawasarian or someone would take it apart and take some high res pictures....any takers?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

I can't afford to lose my computer for more than a few days at this point of the year, due to projects and such. Will they let me keep it until the winter break in december and then sent it for repair?

it's under warrenty for the first year no matter what. you could wait 364 days and then send it in and they'd have to fix it for free.

wait until school is out or you're on break unless it's driving you completely nuts.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I've had my 15" G4 laptop since Friday and no white spots yet( crosses fingers). No dead pixals found either. Hope my luck holds out.

I'm ecstatic about my laptop so far!
  • Reply 34 of 36
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I picked mine up on September 20, and so far (knock on wood) no white spots. No latch problems, actually this thing has worked perfectly.

With the addition of Panther, this thing screams. Gone is the wait for Finder windows to come up. Expose is pretty cool, and once I learn Applescript, Folder Actions will rock!

I'm very happy with this laptop. Now I hope they put a dual G5 in the "Faster" machine at MWSF so I can get rid of my dual celery PC desktop.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

it's under warrenty for the first year no matter what. you could wait 364 days and then send it in and they'd have to fix it for free.

wait until school is out or you're on break unless it's driving you completely nuts.

My campus store has a certified apple tech, i spoke to him today and he told me to call apple, get a case number and e-mail him. He can then order the part and call me when its in. He said i shouldn't have to give up the machine for more than a day or two.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Yeah.. check out this sh!t...

Click here to see Apple's quality control

I'm on my FOURTH one and the ones on #4 are getting REALLY nasty.

i have the spot at the 10 0'clock position that you do. also another few that are bigger than pixels but dont have that fuzzy halo around them. i can tolerate it for the time being, but it will go to repair at some point.