Mail under Panther eats up CPU power ALL THE TIME! (merged)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Mail.app has started acting funny. When idle, it takes up every little bit of my CPU. Right now it's using 80% doing nothing. I've tried quitting and restarting it, rebuilding the mailboxes. Any ideas?

BTW, this is in Panther 7b85.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Just found out Mail.app eats up 90% of CPU power everytime it's launched.

In the activity monitor it reports 8 to 11 threads happening.....but Mail isn't checking email or browsing or whatever....

wonder what's going on......
  • Reply 2 of 13
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Mine doesn't...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Leave it running, and enjoy the decent memory management.

I had 29 very long word documents open yesterday, using the "search all open documents" to find info for my dad. The powerbook was down to 1Mb of free memory and I could happily swap around all my open applications.

Expose did have a bit of a fit when it tried to animate all the 29 windows, but it got there.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Mine doesn't either.

I tried the experiment: Quit and started Mail-

it never went over 50% and is usually at 0%.

(Now that you have me watching, Microsoft Word always has some activity! I guess it is auto-saving. It averages over 5% and I don't even have any documents open.)

(This on an iBook, G3 800 MHz, 640 M.)

Here's the thread following this at the other forum.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Yes mine does not either, I think you got a problem there cheif.

• Reply 6 of 13
    MIne does. I started a thread last night in the appropriate place about it, though It seems to be ok now. I sent an email and that seemed to solve the problem. I'm not sure why.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Have you enabled "index decrypted messages for sending"? Maybe that's eating the CPU.

Of course, you could just nuke the prefs to try to figure it out.

Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Had this happening to me last night, a relaunch of mail didn't help. Waited 2 hours, opened mail again, and everything was fine
  • Reply 9 of 13
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Mail will lock up on me if I select a particular Sent Message folder with about 400MB of emails (2672 emails). Jumps up to 165% CPU and hangs. Otherwise all works except selecting that folder.

edit: Drug the problem Mail Box out of Library>Mail can double click and open it but hangs on the same file while indexing. If I go to Import through Mail the .mbox is is greyed out. Anyone know of a mailbox repair program. Goint to try a new copy from my back-up files.

Edit: Back-up mailbox is also screwed up, hangs on email #57, hmmm...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I have mail setup as a login item, after checking my mail I hide it so I know if any new mail has come in as I'm on the computer. It uses 0.00% CPU when not in use. I don't know what your deal is though. Very strange. I imagine that it uses quite a bit more when I'm using it or when it actually checks for new mail (on launch and every 5 min) but when idol, it's just that, idol.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Mine is using 0% of the CPU when idol. Don't know what to tell you. There is another thread about this going right now, check that for more info. http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=32887 hope this helps a little bit.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Well it uses 0% CPU when I use it, it hangs when I select a certain imported mailbox (hangs at 165% CPU on dual G5). Need to get that mailbox going somehow. Going to try an old version on my Laptop that still has Jag on it (so I can use VPC).
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Merging pensieve's and Leonis' threads...