Apple investing in palm and building a PDA?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is Apple investing in palm and building a PDA? I know that S Jobs said he will not create a PDA...but.... who could have invested in Palm?

<a href="http://www.cube-zone.com"; target="_blank">http://www.cube-zone.com</a>;

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: cytri ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I guess the Cube-Zone website needs hits.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I doubt Apple's doing that. If Jobs says he doesn't want a PDA then don't expect one.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    nah.

Benn discussed before. Apple iwsn't going to diversify out again. We tried Newtons. Honestly, I didn't like Newtons. Palms are more useful than Newtons were.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Let's not forget that there currently is no palm desktop for Mac OS X. To a lot of people, that's a sticking point and it's keeping them from upgrading to OS X. It may not be as important as Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office, but it is a big one.

So if Apple is making the investment it is more likely to help bring good Palm interaction with OS X. The kind of integration that makes the iPod what it is.

It would be absurd for Apple to make it's own Palm-like PDA at this point. And getting Palm to build an Apple branded Palm is pretty stupid too. The audience would be limited and it's not going to do a hell of a lot for Apple or Palm.

But enabling the type of seemless interaction between OS X and a Palm handheld that iPod enjoys with iTunes would be a big deal. It would strengthen the Digital Hub strategy and remove one of the large hurdles keeping many people from upgrading to OS X from OS 9 (or making the switch from Windows).
  • Reply 6 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>nah.

Benn discussed before. Apple iwsn't going to diversify out again. We tried Newtons. Honestly, I didn't like Newtons. Palms are more useful than Newtons were.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats an out of date statement. PDA's are just now getting close to having the power that the Newton 2000/2100's had. The iPaq is an awesome PDA Palm is dying, and will die unless they become more feature ritch. A not so large Newton would sell like hot cakes if Apple waits for 3G tech to come into play, and uses a scaled OS X, with QT viewing, 3G broadband.

Some people are totaly lacking in vision.

I swear.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Apple may never release a PDA device but (as seen in this group) many Mac users would enjoy Palm functionality.

I wonder if the last post has got it right... and we need to get through the upcoming period of PDA phones and its untold variations - before consumers will desire a simplified unit that takes advantage of miniturisation, 3G wireless connectivity and Palmlike functionality.

Maybe we also have to wait for the ability to send and receive seemless *mini* video messages as this maybe the feature which constitutes "normal" usage of the next generation of digital device.

userone