Backup won't restore my iTunes library! Help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Before I upgraded to Panther, I backed up my iTunes library and a few other things using Backup v2.0 (I saved the backup package on my iPod). I did an erase and install which went fine, and then I went to restore the things I had backed up.

First, Backup couldn't access my iDisk (nor could anything outside of the Finder) so it wouldn't start up, because it thought I didn't have a .Mac account. Apple seems to have fixed that issue overnight. But now, when I tried to restore my files, I get a message that says, roughly, "There was an error while trying to copy this file." I get this for every file.

I'm not too concerned about the other things I backed up (just some prefs and settings that can easily be fixed on my own) but I NEED to get my music out of there. It includes my iTMS songs that I have no other copy of. HELP!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Haven;t used Backup 2, so I'm just tossing ideas out there...

If Backup copies files as plain, normal files, then you're set... just drag them from the iPod to your local drive. If Backup stores them in an 'image' of some sort, or an archive, it may be harder depending on what that format is. (Compressed disk image maybe?)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Haven;t used Backup 2, so I'm just tossing ideas out there...

If Backup copies files as plain, normal files, then you're set... just drag them from the iPod to your local drive. If Backup stores them in an 'image' of some sort, or an archive, it may be harder depending on what that format is. (Compressed disk image maybe?)

It saves them as an uncompressed package file with a ".backup" extension. I've heard on the .Mac discussion boards that deleting Backup will turn this file into a folder, and I've also heard that alt-clicking on the file will allow me to view its contents in a window and then drag things over.

But I'm stuck at work right now, so I can't verify either of those things. Does anyone know if either of those solutions would work?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    easiest thing to do would be to rip the songs off your iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

easiest thing to do would be to rip the songs off your iPod.

The songs only exist on the iPod as part of the backup package right now. I had to format my iPod's drive to make room for the whole backup package.

Next time I'm just dumping the files on there. No more of this stupid Backup crap.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    You can open up the .backup in the finder and get your stuff out that way. I had the exact same issue with my music. ctrl+click on the .backup file and select show package contents. Then you can navigate and copy like you would any file.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

You can open up the .backup in the finder and get your stuff out that way. I had the exact same issue with my music. ctrl+click on the .backup file and select show package contents. Then you can navigate and copy like you would any file.

I saw the exact same solution on the .Mac discussion boards and it worked perfectly. Everything is finally back to normal now!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by tetzel1517

I saw the exact same solution on the .Mac discussion boards and it worked perfectly. Everything is finally back to normal now!

I wish I knew what caused the problem. It doesn't help when your backup program doesn't work so well.... I hope they get it out of beta and fix the problem soon because it's the only version of Backup that works with Panther.