Problem with TiBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I spilled water on my keyboard yesterday, and when quickly powered down and let the cpu dry. It worked to power on with the AC adapter, but when I try and use the battery it doesnt power up, or stay on if I unplug the adapter. The battery is full, and it shows up in my finder. Is this a bad logic board? Is there anything I can try? I reset my hardware configuration on startup. Please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    If I were you, I'd've let the computer dry for a lot longer than a day, but whatever. It is probably water shorting out something. Take it to a repair center, have them take it apart and dry out the components.

That's my advice.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    its weird because it works perfectly fine with the AC adapter, it just wont run with the battery. anyone got any more ideas? I took it apart myself, now i may do so again and let it sit.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Well if you already took it apart then it probably is dry inside (phew!) so ignore my advice.

No idea... try someone else's battery and see if it too does not work(?) If so the internal components are angry at you from their cold shower.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    yeah i blew everything out with some compressed air. i think some of the components are angry...is there anything else that I can do to get my battery back online?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    OK now my AC adapter light is orange (it used to be only green after this stuff happened) so i have some hope. Tha battery connection is warm so I assume the cpu is interacting with the battery. is there any hope this battery is going to work?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    it's possible if you give it a day or two it might work out, but don't hold your breath.

water on keyboards/MB's is bad. if it were distilled water it might be ok, but regular water has all sorts of metals and minerals in it that are now coating contacts in your machine.

you could try Q-tips with rubbing alcohol and wipe off the contacts.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ok, how exactly should i go about cleaning this thing? Would it do any good to take it to the Apple Store?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if you're worried about the battery connection, i'd take cotton swaps/q-tips and just swipe some alcohol (rubbing) over the gold contacts. that's about all you can do unless you're trained at this sort of thing.

1. wait until it dries

2. clean accessable contact points

3. pray
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    4. Don't eat or drink anything by your laptop ever again!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    yeah...i got that down.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    yeah...i got that down.