Panther Hanging...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Last night I installed a firmware upgrade to my Airport Extreme Base. My 15" AL PB rebooted and I promptly got the folder with a question mark inside. (I'm a MAC newbie)

I forced a restart (pushed the on/off button) and now the OS will not boot up. Went to the Panther Install Disk and tried to do a disk repair and it said that it couldn't mount/unmount the HD - Disk Repair Failed. Then I tried to repair the permissions and it seemed to correct some iTunes permissions but then it hangs after a while.

I really don't want to do another install of Panther. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Specs: 15" Al PB with 1 GB RAM (user installed) and upgraded 7200 RPM HD (user installed). The only software I had installed was Office X, VPC 6.1 w/win 2K, Adobe's PS7, Ill, Acrobat 6, and two small apps: Sidetrack and an iPod file remover.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    CJ:

Sounds like your harddrive might be falty or something came loose after you put it back together. Try pressing the Option key while rebooting to see if the firmware finds a partition it can boot from.

Luis
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ucaboys

CJ:

Sounds like your harddrive might be falty or something came loose after you put it back together. Try pressing the Option key while rebooting to see if the firmware finds a partition it can boot from.

Luis

Hey, Luis:

It finds the my Mac HD but it hangs when it tries to boot from it: I get an apple with a rotating symbol beneath it.

It could be the 7200 HD but it was working fine before I downloaded the firmware upgrade.

Oh well, I just may have to re-install Panther. Sigh...reminds me of my Windows days where I would be re-installing everyone's notebooks...

• Reply 3 of 5
    Sounds like the it's the OS, not the hard drive. Reinstall, that'll fix everything.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

Oh well, I just may have to re-install Panther. Sigh...reminds me of my Windows days where I would be re-installing everyone's notebooks...

Don't let this sour you on the Mac experience. Every once in a while a computer will have its share of problems, but at least it's not every computer you own. Sorry this had to happen to you, keep on truckin. There are brighter days ahead. Macs rule!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Well, I guess it was my 7200 RPM Hard Drive that was causing the hanging (as someone pointed out previously); I couldn't re-install Panther or Jaguar. I went back to the stock 80 GB 4200 RPM HD and now all is well. Taking apart the Al PB is no sweat now (the first time was stressful as there are about 18 screws to unscrew); the problem is that stripping the screws is very easy to do so you have to be careful.

The defective 7200 RPM HD is going back to Hitachi/IBM - sigh...