Can't get my new PB12" to recognize my old 2300c to share files over ethernet cable

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here's the set-up:

I have a new Powerbook 12" running 10.2.7, and an old Powerbook 2300c (yeah, can you believe it?) with an ethernet equipped mini-Dock running 9.1, and I want to transfer Word files from the 2300c to the PB12."

Despite using the help options on both computers, I've been unsuccessful trying to share files between the two through an ethernet crossover cable.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing who can walk me through it or point out what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Check the network works:

Assign both computers an IP address manually (TCP/IP control panel in OS 9, or Networks in System Prefs (OS X). 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 will do.

Open a terminal on the 12" PowerBook and type:

ping 192.168.1.1

where 192.168.1.1 is the 2300's IP address. If you get timeouts, there's something wrong with the network cablng or ports.

(You don't need to use IP addresses to share files on Macs, but it is a simple way of checking if the network works).

Terminal lives in Applications -> Utilities.

Turn on Appletalk:

OS 9: Control Panels -> Appletalk

OS X: System Pref.s -> Network -> Appletalk tab.

Make sure you enable Appletalk for the ethernet interface (other interfaces may be modem/serial ports, and Airport and Bluetooth modems on the 12" PowerBook).

Turn on File Sharing:

There should be an Sharing control panel in OS 9. Turn on file sharing and select the folder you would like to share on the 2300. Go to File menu -> Sharing and set the options you want.

Connect to the 2300:

To get at the 2300's shared folders from the 12" PowerBook, select "Connect to Server" from the Go menu in the OS X Finder. the 2300 should appear. If you need a username/password, this is controlled from the User/Groups control panel in OS 9.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Check the network works:

Assign both computers an IP address manually (TCP/IP control panel in OS 9, or Networks in System Prefs (OS X). 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 will do.

Open a terminal on the 12" PowerBook and type:

ping 192.168.1.1

where 192.168.1.1 is the 2300's IP address. If you get timeouts, there's something wrong with the network cablng or ports.

(You don't need to use IP addresses to share files on Macs, but it is a simple way of checking if the network works).

Terminal lives in Applications -> Utilities.

Turn on Appletalk:

OS 9: Control Panels -> Appletalk

OS X: System Pref.s -> Network -> Appletalk tab.

Make sure you enable Appletalk for the ethernet interface (other interfaces may be modem/serial ports, and Airport and Bluetooth modems on the 12" PowerBook).

Turn on File Sharing:

There should be an Sharing control panel in OS 9. Turn on file sharing and select the folder you would like to share on the 2300. Go to File menu -> Sharing and set the options you want.

Connect to the 2300:

To get at the 2300's shared folders from the 12" PowerBook, select "Connect to Server" from the Go menu in the OS X Finder. the 2300 should appear. If you need a username/password, this is controlled from the User/Groups control panel in OS 9.

Excellent step-by-step, Stoo, I appreciate it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    All right, now the BIG thanks, Stoo, I just got all the files I needed to transferred.

I'm new to file sharing and new to OSX, so it took a lot of trial and error even with your terrific help, but I definitely couldn't've done it without your post. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Good to hear you got it working.