iPod making loud fan noise-scaring the $hit out of me

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I haven't used my iPod in a few months and I just took it out again today and it is making a loud fan noise, almost louder then a fan in a desktop computer. I definitely don't remember it making such a noise. It played a song fine through iTunes but I'm not going to use it until I can verify that it's not breaking down. Just because it's 5 gigs doesn't mean I can afford to have it stop working, it was $400 and I hope it lasts a few more years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Oops. Hi murbot & brad.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Heh. Well I've been busy in college and my stupid friend back home lost my second FireWire and I'm lazy. It makes a loud sound. Most hard drives have internal fans. If it was damaged I doubt it'd work and play songs. Maybe it's fragmented. I'm going to zero it and see what happens.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Hard drives don't have internal fans...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Most hard drives have internal fans

Ummm not really.

The hard drive itself does not have an internal fan. cooling is done via convection through metal where the hard drive is mounted and by passing air. In the ipods case the hard drive does not creat a lot of heat, so no fan or extra cooling is needed. The noise you hear is the hard drive, but not a fan. It sounds like the motor is wearing dowm.

You might have seen fans in external hard drive enclosers. They are there for cooling but are not part of the hard drive itself.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I was just guessing based on the sound coming from the Maxtor sitting in my FireWire case...I can differentiate between a drive and a case. I appreciate the help. If I used Disk Utility to Erase my iPod in HFS+ will it still work? Or will that somehow damage my iPod?