Exporting Addresses

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know a way to export the addresses from the address book to a cvs?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by sroach

Does anyone know a way to export the addresses from the address book to a cvs?

Thanks in advance

Well, this should be possible with AppleScript. I'll have a look into this... will post a code example later on - or mail me, if you've got further questions.

Greetings!

durandal
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Well, here's the example. WARNING: This is really a Quick-Hack, w/o any error-catching routines and far from being suitable for real-world usage. But I think it gives the general idea on how to do the Address Book -> CSV thing.

Explanation: The "tell application" Block creates a list, containing the name, street, city and zip code of the first person in the address book. The following statements allow the user to specify a new file name. That file is created and the list is written to it, with the values separated by commas.

Questions? Post 'em here or mail me...

Greetings!

durandal

Code:

tell application "Address Book"

set address_list to {name of person 1, street of address of person 1, city of address of person 1, zip of address of person 1}

end tell

open for access (choose file name) with write permission

set FilRef to (result)

write (item 1 of address_list) & "," & (item 2 of address_list) & "," & (item 3 of address_list) & "," & (item 4 of address_list) & (return) to FilRef

close access FilRef

• Reply 3 of 6
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    Durandal,

I sent you an e-mail. Thanks for taking a crack at this for me. I am only getting 1 contact in the input file and it's a name with comma's after it.

NAME, , ,
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by sroach

Durandal,

I sent you an e-mail. Thanks for taking a crack at this for me. I am only getting 1 contact in the input file and it's a name with comma's after it.

NAME, , ,

Hmm.. okay. About getting only one contact: As I stated above, this is just an example. The script isn't supposed to export more than one contact (I just wanted to show how to write a contact to a CSV file). Re-writing it to handle all contacts in the Address Book shouldn't be too hard.

The other error (NAME, , , ) - well 't was pretty late when I hacked that example, sorry

I'm a bit short of time right now, will be back tonight and then I'll try to fix the prob.

Greetings,

durandal
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    Again than you for any time you put in to it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I modified the script code a bit (you may download the script from http://www.advancedscripting.de/sroach/a_export.hqx). Worked fine in Panther (can't test in Jaguar right now, since it currently isn't installed on my Mac, sorry).

Greetings!

durandal

P.S.: The fact that the script now takes the second person (person 2) doesn't have any special meaning.

Here's the code:

Code:

tell application "Address Book"

set address_list to {name of person 2, street of address of person 2, city of address of person 2, zip of address of person 2}

open for access (choose file name) with write permission

set filref to (result)

write ((item 1 of address_list) as text) & "," & ((item 2 of address_list) as text) & "," & ((item 3 of address_list) as text) & "," & ((item 4 of address_list) as text) & (return) to filref starting at ((get eof filref) + 1)

close access filref

end tell