Question About Zipping my files...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I usually keep a backup folder with every installer and updater I've ever downloaded and I was planning on using the built in zip compression to compress those files since it runs SOOOOOO much faster than stuffit, and since I don't want to create one huge archive. I wanted to ask however, since I still make heavy use of OS 9, will there be problems in opening these .zip files under OS 9? I was told that .zip files do something weird with Mac specific files or something to the resource fork...not really sure. Anyways, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Resource forks are preserved. I just tested this a while ago this morning, actually.

OS9? What's that?

As I recall, though, Apple is using gzip, not regular zip. Why the files end in .zip an not .gz is beyond me -- probably just for name recognition.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Resource forks are preserved. I just tested this a while ago this morning, actually.

OS9? What's that?

As I recall, though, Apple is using gzip, not regular zip. Why the files end in .zip an not .gz is beyond me -- probably just for name recognition.

Oh ok. So I guess that would explain why Stuffit Deluxe sometimes can't open a Panther "zip" file? Anyways, thanks for the info.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I don't know about Stuffit Deluxe, but Stuffit Expander opens panther-compressed files just fine for me. Maybe you need to double-check that you're up to the latest version.