Getting my first mac, what do you think?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Today I am going to purchase my first Mac. I want to go to the local Apple store to pickup the computer but I have a couple questions for you apple experts!

I am thinking about getting the G4 iBook, but I am concerned about the displays. The 12" is prolly too small but the 14" is the same resolution. I also remember the clarity of the 12" display wasn't the greatest. Any of you guys have any advice on this issue?

TIA,

Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You should probably just look at both. I've used both 12" and 14" laptop displays with 1024x768 resolution (the 14" was an older PowerBook G3 though, not an iBook) and it seemed fine to me, not blurry like a lot of people say. The 12" is good also.

Really, it just boils down to personal preference, desire for a faster clock speed, and how much money you have. The 14" ones are faster, come with bigger hard drives, and are easier on the eyes. You won't get any extra screen area because they use the same resolution, but they will look better for games and movies.

But you should try both of them out at an Apple store. My 12" iBook seemed like a very small screen at first but I definitely got used to it and I didn't even notice how small it was until I used other people's computers. If I were to decide now, I think I'd buy a 14" 933 MHz, but I'm not sure.

Oh, and good luck with your decision!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Welcome aboard!

Purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion. Moving now.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by mightyjd

Today I am going to purchase my first Mac. I want to go to the local Apple store to pickup the computer but I have a couple questions for you apple experts!

I am thinking about getting the G4 iBook, but I am concerned about the displays. The 12" is prolly too small but the 14" is the same resolution. I also remember the clarity of the 12" display wasn't the greatest. Any of you guys have any advice on this issue?

TIA,

Jeff

the real question is, How are your eyes? if they are great, then get 12", if you wear glasses or something, get the 14"
  • Reply 4 of 7
    My eyes are good with contacts in

I guess more specifically for those who have seen both displays which is your personal preference?

-JD
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by mightyjd

My eyes are good with contacts in

I guess more specifically for those who have seen both displays which is your personal preference?

-JD

my friend had contacts, then got laser surgery, and preferred the 14". me personally, I would probably get the 14" since many things in osx arent adjustable yet(like menu font and sizes) so if something is too small you may be screwed, plus with age, as you get older the bigger screen may be easier on your eyes(if you keep it long enough). I have a tangerince ibook with 12" 800x600.. and things are too small on there.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Depends on what matters to you more: portability of a 12" or easier-reading screen/more power of a 14". Both are great. You won't go wrong either way. Just go to a store and play with them. Ever have a laptop before? My preference would be to get a 12" and a 17" monitor to plug in at home.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I ended up getting the 933MHz 14" G4 iBook.

So far I am lovin' it!