Apple BT Keyboard proprietary...?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, it seems that Apple's neat Blue Tooth Keyboard will not work in a PC. I guess it's Apple's right to do whatever they want with their products, but I will be returning my Apple BT keyboard as I need a BT wireless keyboard that works on BOTH PC and MAC.

Blue Tooth is really not a great WiFi standard IMHO...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

Well, it seems that Apple's neat Blue Tooth Keyboard will not work in a PC. I guess it's Apple's right to do whatever they want with their products, but I will be returning my Apple BT keyboard as I need a BT wireless keyboard that works on BOTH PC and MAC.

Blue Tooth is really not a great WiFi standard IMHO...

never really understood the need for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I mean the whole idea of bluetooth is so you can use a device around a corner or out of line/sight of the receiver, you 'll have a pretty hard time trying to open itunes in the next room with your mouse \ . I know apple states its so it doesnt interfer with other irda gadgets but isnt bluetooth a little bit overkill for a mouse and keyboard!!!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Bluetooth seems like overkill for ANYTHING. Well, I guess cell phones and PDAs might benefit from it, but it's not that hard to have a cable connected to your computer and have one end nearby so you can easily connect your PDA or phone. I do that with my iPod and with my digital camera.

Bluetooth seems like a real dud, though, because apparently it's actually not an established standard. Maybe there is an official standard, but it seems like it changes too much to be worth it. I'd be worried about buying a bluetooth dongle because I'd be afraid that the next round of BT devices wouldn't work with it. Isn't that the point of ESTABLISHING a standard?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

never really understood the need for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I mean the whole idea of bluetooth is so you can use a device around a corner or out of line/sight of the receiver, you 'll have a pretty hard time trying to open itunes in the next room with your mouse \ . I know apple states its so it doesnt interfer with other irda gadgets but isnt bluetooth a little bit overkill for a mouse and keyboard!!!

For keyboard, maybe. That stays put, but a mouse goes all over the place, and for me the cord is always getting in the way, actually preventing the GODDAMNED THING FROM CLICKING.

I want a BT mouse. My keyboard is fine, though.