On 10.2.7; update to 10.2.8 or wait for Panther?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just got my Powerbook 12," which shipped with 10.2.7. I plan on upgrading to Panther a little further down the road when the first-launch bugs are ironed out.

In the meantime, is there a compelling reason to install 10.2.8, or for that matter, a compelling reason not to?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    10.2.8 introduced a lot of bugs. A friend of mine lost her ability to use USB, and I had to reinstall an earlier version of OS X to fix it.

Stay with 10.2.7! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    If you just got your PowerBook, C-Bear, then you can buy Panther for only $20. This is the up-to-date price for people who just got their computers. You should really order it *now* in the event that you can't get it at this super-low price when you decide you want it later.

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

If you just got your PowerBook, C-Bear, then you can buy Panther for only $20. This is the up-to-date price for people who just got their computers. You should really order it *now* in the event that you can't get it at this super-low price when you decide you want it later.

My 2 cents.

Absolutely! The plan all along was to order Panther for the up-to-date price (technically tomorrow, when I register the computer and my AppleCare) and then wait to install (if I'm able to wait ) until any updates or fixes necessary are in place.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I was using Panther last night on my sister's iBook G4 and I must say, I don't like it at all. The "column view" no longer represents the filesystem faithfully if you come at it from the "sidebar" thing.

All in all, Jaguar seems to be where it's at-at least for now. Expose is cool, but not the killer app. Apple needs to seriously fix its UI problems-Mac OS X is looking more and more like the muddled mess called Windows XP every day.