Best looking 3d game for my new PB AL?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hey pals,

Wondering what some of the latest and greatest games are out there for the mac? I have a new 15 AL Powerbook, and I'd like to jam some sweet games on it... I like stuff like Halo, UT etc... first person shooters... any good military stuff out there?

It would be koool if they had demos, but not necessary... any good mac game resources would help too.

thanks in advance!!!

Charlie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Here are some popular first person shooters for Mac:

Unreal Tournament 2003 - Pretty standard FPS, lots of fast action, very demanding (but faster after the recent patch)

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - I've only played the demo, it seems okay but not different enough from UT 2003 to be worth buying for me.

Jedi Knight II - This one is Star Wars themed, and it switches between first person shooting and third person lightsaber combat. Pretty fun. Also, it has more puzzles than most shooters.

America's Army - This is a free one put out by the US Army. Can you say "propaganda?" Political discussions aside, this is also a fun game, very realistic, and there are plenty of multiplayer games to play once you've done some training. This is the slowest running game I've tried on my eMac.

Ghost Recon - This one is a squad-based game. You control a group of soldiers and it's pretty realistic. You have to combine stealth, cover, smart tactics, etc. Probably a bit much for most people (including me, I could never beat the demo even on the easy level), but it is pretty cool. Like America's Army, you're not some superhuman. One shot usually kills you.

Halo - Not released yet (scheduled for December 3rd), but I played the PC version once and I've played it a ton on the XBox. This also seems like a standard FPS, except better in most areas. A lot of Mac users are pissed because Halo was first publicly previewed at a Macworld expo years ago, and then MS bought the developer Bungie and turned it into an XBox-only game that didn't come out until late 2001. That said, it's a fun game. After playing it constantly for a few months I actually found I was so used to the controller that I preferred it to mouse control. But controlling it with a mouse works well too. It has a lot of nice touches - you can only carry two weapons at a time, you can't run super fast like in most shooters, and you have shields which recharge (balanced out by not being able to take that many shots once your shields fall). Also, the AI is very smart in Halo. I've seen enemies dodge grenades I've thrown at them as they were flying at them. Also, they seem to know if you're hurt or not... if you're ducking behind a rock to let your shields recharge, and your enemy is not hurt too badly, he might come up and attack you to keep the pressure on. Multiplayer is fun too.

I've run all of these (other than Halo) on my 1 GHz eMac with a 32 MB Radeon 7500. They should run well on a new PowerBook G4. Do you have the 1 GHz or 1.25 GHz version?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks for the breakdown... I'm on a 1.25ghz, so I should be able to run most anything... I hope!

I've just played UT Demo for a few mintues, it's pretty fun... althought I like some of the more involved stuff from Ghost Recon type shooters too. I haven't played GR on mac, but on Playstation... it's okay, but I'm hoping for an updated version as it's been out a while.

Halo is fun on Xbox... I'll look for that when it comes out...

Have you tried any of the WW2 based games? or Flying games?

Thanks!

Charlie
  • Reply 3 of 4
    How long until TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX 3: RAVEN SHIELD comes out?

http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/raven/

Command an elite, multinational squad of special operatives against a hidden terrorist foe. In Raven Shield, the third installment to the wildly popular Rainbow Six series, RAINBOW races against time to stop terror and unravel a mystery. In locations around the world, from London to the Caribbean to Rio de Janeiro, lead team RAINBOW in a desperate effort to battle a madman and foil his doomsday plot.

Features:

Fifteen all-new single-player missions, 6 dedicated multiplayer maps

Built on next-generation Unreal® technology for unequaled visual effects

Fifty-seven weapons with real-world accessories for endless customization

New multiplayer modes and rules for online play

Real-world tactics and methods from Mike Grasso, Tactics Instructor and LAPD Medal of Valor recipient

Looks pretty sweet... anybody play on another platform? or seen a review?

Charlie
  • Reply 4 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Unreal Tournament will bring your computer to its knees if you don't have the necessary horespower, may I add.

But the ragdoll physics are nothing short of stunning.