Semi-Perpetual NFL Picks Thread

Comments

• Reply 161 of 202
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Steelers are breakin my heart here . . . . . . Arizona has a better record . . . thank goodness there are three teams with worse records . . .

ugh

well, one thing I knew was that the Packers would play the way that they are . . . they have gotten very tough since the beginning of the season . .

but the games not over . . . so?!
  • Reply 162 of 202
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok (correct picks in italics)

Carolina at Houston

Indianapolis at Miami

Jacksonville at Baltimore

New Orleans at Tampa Bay

N.Y. Giants at N.Y. Jets

Oakland at Detroit

San Diego at Chicago

Cincinnati at Arizona

Pittsburgh at Seattle

Philadelphia at Atlanta

St. Louis at San Francisco

Washington at Dallas

Green Bay at Minnesota

New England at Denver[B] (still awaiting monday night)

7-6... good grief. and my bucs gave up a crucial opportunity to gain ground ont he panthers today. brad absolutely sucked b@lls for the first three quarters. i swear, if parcells and the cowboys get home field through the playoffs, i am gonna puke. what the hell happened to any of the playoff teams from last year? aside from indy, the whole bloody league is upside-down and inside-out.
  • Reply 163 of 202
    5-8 with one undecided so far...Although I'm glad my Texans came through. Those red jerseys must have really made a difference!
  • Reply 164 of 202
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    No week 10 picks?
  • Reply 165 of 202
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Arizona @ Pittsburgh

Atlanta @ NY Giants

Chicago @ Detroit

Cleveland @ Kansas City

Houston @ Cincinatti

Indianapolis @ Jacksonville

Miami @ Tennessee

Seattle @ Washington

Tampa Bay @ Carolina

Minnesota @ San Diego

Buffalo @ Dallas

NY Jets @ Oakland

Baltimore @ St. Louis

Philadelphia @ Green Bay
  • Reply 166 of 202
    I suppose since I'm whining about no one picking that I'll pick this week...

Arizona at Pittsburgh

Home field advantage.

Atlanta at NY Giants

Duh.

Chicago at Detroit

Merry Christmas, Chicago.

Cleveland at Kansas City

Mmm, burnt brownies.

Houston at Cincinatti

The Texans have their s**t together a little more than the Bungals.

Indianapolis at Jacksonville

Colts are 4-0 on the road...soon to be 5-0.

Miami at Tennessee

Williams will be contained. Again. Miami needs Fiedler back.

Seattle at Washington

Could be the other way around if half of the Redskins weren't benched with injuries.

Tampa Bay at Carolina

Close game, but the Bucs wont contain the run.

Minnesota at San Diego

Minnesota isn't that great, but they're more than good enough to beat the Chargers.

Buffalo at Dallas

Homefield advantage + better offense = Dallas wins.

NY Jets at Oakland

Oakland wont be able to score with a 3rd string QB.

Baltimore at St. Louis

Lewis vs. Faulk: Faulk wins.

Philadelphia at Green Bay

Yeah, I'm probably wrong.
  • Reply 167 of 202
    i've been having a craptacular week in real life, but i'll throw down my two cents before sunday...

Arizona @ Pittsburgh

believe it or not, i see this as being close. pitt isn't even one-dimensional. they're like half-dimensional (in fact, pfflam may hate me for this, but i am going to change my pick pre-kickoff to ARIZONA!)

Atlanta @ NY Giants

here comes the fossil late-season run to the playoffs again. atlanta is fighting for first pick in the draft at this pace. and i now think vick doesn't want to come back and lead this sinking ship. can't say i blame him, except he's getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to do so.

Chicago @ Detroit

groan. i feel for anyone who has this as their regional game.

Cleveland @ Kansas City

and a week to prepare? i just can't see vermeil not winning this. only a too cocky attitude might screw things up. it'll be a sad day when vermeil finally hangs it up, once and for all. let's hope that isn't for a long, long time.

Houston @ Cincinnati

i want marvin to win 6 to 8 this year. i think he can do it. houston's temp switch to veteran qb has made a distinct change...for the better. but carr's back in the, uh, driver's seat.

Indianapolis @ Jacksonville

time for peyton and marvin to pad their stats. i still think mark brunell has 2-3 years left in him, but he beat himself silly carrying the jags on his back since he came on board.

Miami @ Tennessee

home field and mcnair. but they'll blame griese.

Seattle @ Washington

loooong road trip for 'hawks, but spurrier's lost this team -- and even worse, his owner -- maybe as bad as callahan.

Tampa Bay @ Carolina

voodoo or not, tampa lost last week, must win this week, give 'em the win this week. we will see this week if carolina is actually an eight week mirage.

Minnesota @ San Diego

minnesota will be itching to beat up on someone following the green bay fight AND two losses. oh, look, a weekend in san diego. that's better. bring your sunblock and your fireproof jerseys.

Buffalo @ Dallas

as much as it pains me, i'll go with bill, not billS in this one. i can't believe how quickly buffalo has stalled.

NY Jets @ Oakland

wow. oakland is beyond terrible. what the hell happened? i think chad et al. will be able to find their rhythm better this week and after a full week of practice as the starter.

Baltimore @ St. Louis

baltimore's defense will keep this close. i'll go with ravens in upset (plus, i have to have at least one different from eugene).

Philadelphia @ Green Bay

every playoff team from last year is mediocre or terrible. philly is the best of that lot, but watch the birds give away another to parcell's quest for home field in the playoffs. sigh.
  • Reply 168 of 202
    wow, the tampa bay defense cannot stop ANYbody when it counts this year.

well, one minute, three points (or more). let's see what happens.

(edit: dammit. i swear, the bucs are about 4 points per game away from being dominant in the nfc this year, but like i said, the defense has just been a bust late in the important games when it counts).
  • Reply 169 of 202
    oh my god, how bad did i suck it this week?

san diego has put up FORTY-TWO POINTS on the vikings?!?! the jags beat the colts?!?! the lions win again??? atlanta beat up on the giants?!?! washington WINNING???

what the f*ck?!?!?!?
  • Reply 170 of 202
    I'm just pissed that Baltimore ended up losing. They dominated the Rams offense the entire game, but when Boller went out, Redman gave up all those turnovers. That guy needs to get it in his thick skull that it's safe to get rid of the ball than to force it into coverage.
  • Reply 171 of 202
    I'll be 8-6 when Green Bay wins tonight...I expected to be more like 12-4. Week 10 was some messed up s**t...
  • Reply 172 of 202
    okay, i just do not understand this whole "arm going forward" thing. it sure as hell looked like the ball came out as his arm was goign forward, and, therefore, an incomplete pass. in fact, i felt the same way earlier in the game when the exact same thing happened.

well, next week, tampa bay vs. green bay. winner still has wild card life. loser will need serious help, considering the leaders in those respective divisions. i think green bay has a better chance of catching the vikes, since they split with them, and the vikes defense has been shown to be vulnerable if you study their bad habits.

right now, super bowl picks = chiefs vs. panthers. carolina's defense is what the bucs had last year in the nfc (ravens still have a scary d based on ray lewis alone). and damn, the chiefs are poised to be utterly unstoppable. if any team deserves to beat the '72 dolphins, it may be this one.
  • Reply 173 of 202
    It wasn't a forward pass. If it hits the ground it's fair game.
  • Reply 174 of 202
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

[Bif any team deserves to beat the '72 dolphins, it may be this one. [/B]

It's been jinxed to death. The Chiefs will lose to the Broncos at Denver...I'm thinking their record will turn out to be 15-1 at the most.

At least it will be fun watching them slay the Bungals next Sunday...when was the last time a team went 10-0?
  • Reply 175 of 202
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

It's been jinxed to death. The Chiefs will lose to the Broncos at Denver...I'm thinking their record will turn out to be 15-1 at the most.

At least it will be fun watching them slay the Bungals next Sunday...when was the last time a team went 10-0?

i seem to remember one team going 10-0 when i was in high school or just before, so check the records circa 1986-1992.
  • Reply 176 of 202
    The Broncos went 13-0 on their way to a 14-2 record and a Super Bowl win in the 1998 season.

The Redskins went 11-0 on their way to a 14-2 record and a Super Bowl win in the 1991 season.

The 49ers went 10-0 on their way to a 14-2 record in the 1990 season.

The Bears went 12-0 on their way to a 15-1 record and Super Bowl win in the 1985 season.

The 1984 49ers finished 15-1.

etc, etc.
  • Reply 177 of 202
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The Broncos went 13-0 on their way to a 14-2 record and a Super Bowl win in the 1998 season.

The Redskins went 11-0 on their way to a 14-2 record and a Super Bowl win in the 1991 season.

The 49ers went 10-0 on their way to a 14-2 record in the 1990 season.

The Bears went 12-0 on their way to a 15-1 record and Super Bowl win in the 1985 season.

The 1984 49ers finished 15-1.

etc, etc.

okay, and i thought i was a football fan. sheesh... the broncos were actually 13-0???
  • Reply 178 of 202
    ...thought they went 9-0 that season before being upset by the Chiefs?

Maybe that was the last year.
  • Reply 179 of 202
    Arizona at Cleveland

Atlanta at New Orleans

Baltimore at Miami

Houston at Buffalo

Jacksonville at Tennessee

Kansas City at Cincinnati

N.Y. Giants at Philadelphia

St. Louis at Chicago

Washington at Carolina

N.Y. Jets at Indianapolis

San Diego at Denver

Detroit at Seattle

Green Bay at Tampa Bay

Minnesota at Oakland

Dallas at New England

Pittsburgh at San Francisco
  • Reply 180 of 202
    Arizona at Cleveland

Atlanta at New Orleans

Baltimore at Miami

Houston at Buffalo

Jacksonville at Tennessee

Kansas City at Cincinnati

N.Y. Giants at Philadelphia

St. Louis at Chicago

Washington at Carolina

N.Y. Jets at Indianapolis

San Diego at Denver

Detroit at Seattle

Green Bay at Tampa Bay

Minnesota at Oakland

Dallas at New England

Pittsburgh at San Francisco

and this week, i am starting a new feature of this thread (as we inch closer to the playoffs, and some of the matchups lose their interest... case in point, trying to entusiastically pick a winner in bears vs. lions... ugh).

what are YOUR brackets for the playoffs this season???

here are mine (and yes, if i had been thinking, i should have done this at the beginning of the season to see how on or off we would have been... oh well. most of these are safe bets at this point, except for the wildcards):

AFC East: New England

AFC North: Baltimore

AFC West: Kansas City

AFC South: Tennesee

AFC Wildcards: Indianapolis, Cincinnati

NFC East: Dallas

NFC North: Minnesota

NFC West: St. Louis

NFC South: Carolina

NFC Wildcards: Seattle, (edit: bye-bye, Tampa, hello Philadelphia)

(stupid question... there are only two wildcards, right?)