Apple retail store dude didn't know squat!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I'm in the Apple store looking to buy the LaCie Firewire drive to connect to my Ti so I could do some major video editing. But the one thing I wasn't sure of was if there was a second firewire port on the the drive so that I could attach my digital camcorder to it to import video.

I asked the dude there at the store if he knew and he says he didn't think so and that maybe LaCie would come out with one eventually...

So I buy it anyway and wouldn't you know..hahaha...it had the second firewire port! ha ha ha...what's up with that?? Dude needs to learn the products man....hahahahaha....

But at least he tried to be helpful. In some PC stores they'd probably try to get you to invest in a Packard Bell or something...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Which store was it?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if i were him i'd have just opened the box and look.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    That's what I wanted to do. But i think the dude didn't want to do that...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Who cares? So the guy didn't know about external drives. BFD. Next time look at the spec's.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Who cares? So the guy didn't know about external drives. BFD. Next time look at the spec's.

yeah theres no shame in that. I used to sell mobile phones, and not only are you expected to know th whole feature list of everyphone ever made but future ones too, top that with every available tarrif, both contract and payas you go its a hell of a lot to learn and keep on top off. You cant be right or know it all, all of the time.

Having said that, it would of just been polite and remarkable service to open the box infront of you (the customer) and let you see for yourself. Next time, just ask and see how helpful they are.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Having said that, it would of just been polite and remarkable service to open the box infront of you (the customer) and let you see for yourself. Next time, just ask and see how helpful they are.

true, but there is always an implied rule to avoid opening boxes at all costs, because people will not buy them after the fact for fear of tampering with the product.

if it was just a bit of clear packing tape, he might have been able to slice it without marring the box. but if it was a glued down set of flaps, he would have caused some noticeable damage to the box, and almost guarantee it would have to be sold on clearance later... unless he was 105% sure the customer would buy it no matter what.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    I was also asking a salesman in an Apple store about a G5, I had already researched it in the previous 2 days so I wanted to hear if he know something I did not. Turns out he did not know as much as I did. He probably knew enough to convince my parents which Mac to buy, but thats not enough.

Unfortunately knowledge does not sell systems, sales people do.

Idealy Apple should choose sales people that ontop of a good ability to sell also have a passion for their products and helping people.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lain

I was also asking a salesman in an Apple store about a G5, I had already researched it in the previous 2 days so I wanted to hear if he know something I did not. Turns out he did not know as much as I did. He probably knew enough to convince my parents which Mac to buy, but thats not enough.

Unfortunately knowledge does not sell systems, sales people do.

Idealy Apple should choose sales people that ontop of a good ability to sell also have a passion for their products and helping people.

I agree that sales people should be generally knowledgeable about the products that they are trying to sell. However, if someone like us (people that know too much about Macs and computers in general) goes into a Mac, or regular, computer store I can say with a large amount of confidence that we will know more about most of the computers. Most people that go into a Mac store don't know the first thing about them, but thought they looked cool, they aren't going to be asking about Fire wire ports on external drives, or L2 cache. The sales people don't need to know that kind of stuff, however, should be able to figure it out should the need arise.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    the one at my store didn't know about Unreal Tournament being good or not...I didn't get mad at hIm. :-D

some of them don't know everything. But, at least he doesn't say it DOES have stuff when it doesn't, I rather hear the drive doesn't have it, and pleasently find it, rather then him bs'ing that it does when it doesn't...