Applescript Studio and Excel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all.

I am trying to find a smart solution to a small problem. I have to make a way for my co-workers to input data into a spread sheet in the most user firendly way possible and began to think about Applescript Studio.

The deal is this: I need a few variables about our patients, stuff like their age, name and a few medical parameters, so I can make monthly statistic data based on it. And I want it to be as easy as possible for both me to convert it and the rest of the team to enter it.

Could I make a "Program" in applescript studio that took the information they entered into it (7-8 variables) and placed it in the next free row? If not could I have it make a file with the data separated with commas?

A better program would be if my co-workers could look up the right patient in the spreadsheet (from name or CC#), so the data would be put in the right place from the beginning. Again: Possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Every heard of a database?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Yes but thats totally overkill for this use. And besides we went from windows to mac and thus don´t have Access in the office package.

I will not tell my boss she have to buy Filemaker to fulfill this very basic need. Its hard enough to defend the use of Macs to an office filled with PC trained people.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    just write a program that reads/writes to a text file and import that textfile into your spreadsheet when u wanna do the analysis at the end of the month.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You could always just have them write it on paper and then you enter it. That's what i would do.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    in the first row in excel, enter your fields, first name, last name,ect. then use Data/forms. this will act like a mini database, you fill in the info for each item, hit tab to go to next item, hit enter to enter all the info and go to next record.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    What happens when someone is off by a row or forgets to go to the next or clicks on one that has data in it? They'll overwrite or get confused and give up or ...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

What happens when someone is off by a row or forgets to go to the next or clicks on one that has data in it? They'll overwrite or get confused and give up or ...

Not if ya do what I told ya...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Come work in a hospital dude. Nothing against my co-workers but many of them know nothing about computers. They get lost all the time. And then when they get lost they'll just stop doing it. And then when you ask why they stopped they'll say, "I couldn't get it to work and you weren't around and I was busy so I stopped doing it."

Paper + Pen. Hard to fsck up.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Come work in a hospital dude. Nothing against my co-workers but many of them know nothing about computers. They get lost all the time. And then when they get lost they'll just stop doing it. And then when you ask why they stopped they'll say, "I couldn't get it to work and you weren't around and I was busy so I stopped doing it."

Paper + Pen. Hard to fsck up.

Actually you are correct, hospital and medical workers are usually bad when it comes to computers, and even most general things.. which is why I hate doctors, and I rue the day I actually get sick and am taken to one. I do IT at medical building.. its horrible
  • Reply 10 of 10
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    If it were me, I'd write a small script in PHP with a html front-end (like 8 or so input fields and a submit button). It would really be easy, and you could have PHP write HTML, or XML, or TXT or whatever with little effort. HTML is, iirc, easily imported into Excel.

Easy, and useable in your favorite browser. Of course, everyone would have to have PHP installed and Apache running. OR there would have to be a small server of sorts to handle the work.