well, november's here, i want my displays!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i sure hope the new displays come out soon (based on previous posts), or at least in january...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i second that motion!

this is a pointless thread though...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I want them too. I saw a picture of a G5 in Time Magazine next to a cinema display, it doesn't look right. The display has to match the G5, it's so much more beautiful that way.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I want them too. I saw a picture of a G5 in Time Magazine next to a cinema display, it doesn't look right. The display has to match the G5, it's so much more beautiful that way.

More to the point, the displays need a price drop. The 17" was too expensive when it was released, and has stayed that way. The price on the 20 and 23" isn't bad but could be better. I realize that Apple isn't banking on display sales, but they could do a lot better than they are. In today's market a $499 entry for a monitor is a bit high, Apple's low end should be $399, and they should have both DVI and ADC connectors so that you don't need an adapter to hook up 2 of them to your tower.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I have a Radeon 9800 card sitting next to me and no display I can hook up to it. The ADC to DVI adapter doesn't work for my apple 17" CRT..... I'm waiting week by week for any sign of a new display, but I'm not sure how long I can wait. There's no guarantee that Apple will release any new displays now or even by January. And I agree that they should have DVI... forget ADC. It's time to phase out the $100 adapter.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    MWSF January:

17" Studio Display discontinued

20" Cinema display with new thin aluminum enclosure $999

23" Cinema display with new thin aluminum enclosure $1599

30" Cinema display with new thin aluminum enclosure $2999

ADC ain't going nowhere (and rightfully so).

Mark my words...
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I think $499 is an acceptable price for a quality 17" flatscreen. However, Apple's displays are not quality other than their construction. I want an aluminum enclosure too, though a 600:1 contrast ratio and 300cd/m brightness is more important. I would also like a pantone cerified Apple-branded optional calibrator. Pantone's software for OS X is crumby and I would love a pantone preference pane. The only reason any designers even use Apple displays is beacuse designers are so anal they can't imagine using a display that doen't match their box. Too bad more people aren't anal about color and contrast.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    um people do care about color & contrast

& the refresh rate

id really like to see them drop prices on the 20"

& offer dvi as standard.i use a couple of pc's at home

& with all the new card having dvi this would make a great

monitor..

..overheard at fry's as i was strolling thru.

people really like the apple lcd's but the price & the

additional cost of a convertor puts them off

...and apple jackassed 15% restocking fee

give a little as mentioned above by the other posters

& everyone would buy & enjoy them
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

MWSF January:

Mark my words...

Marked!!! under the "crazy people comments".
  • Reply 9 of 23
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

MWSF January:

Mark my words...

ADC should stay, but Apple should add a DVI connector as well.

The 17" should stay with a price of $399, or be replaced by a 18" wide screen at $499, which should be the highest that Apple target price for an entry display from Apple.

A price drop on the 20" would be welcome, and the addition of a DVI port might increase the volume of sales for this display.

The 23" is a nice display, we just got 2 of them in at work. I personally wouldnt want anything larger than this, even this size would take some time getting used to. I would personally be more inclined to set up a dual monitor 17" and 20" over either a 23" or 30" single display, but that is just me.

A 30", now we are getting into the range of AV systems yet Apple still refuses to accept the fact that people want to make the computer part of their home AV systems. A digital hub is nice, and interactive entertainment is good, but sometimes people want to shut their brain off and watch a good movie. All Apple has to do is add video in (they already have the technology to do this) and add iTunes like capability into thier QuickTime player. It would be nice to have an external box that could network with the "Hub" so that you could have a single audio/video library accessable throughout the house, just add in a larger HD or add an external when storage gets in short supply. Each of the external boxes could also have a HD, further adding to the "network" storage space for the library. I personally think that it is short-sighted of Apple to ignore this, just as short sighted as it was when they refused to add CD burners as standard options to thier computers.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

... The ADC to DVI adapter doesn't work for my apple 17" CRT...

Have you looked into Dr. Bott's Dviator? It's based on a Cube muffler and should have enough oomph to drive your CRT.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Have you looked into Dr. Bott's Dviator? It's based on a Cube muffler and should have enough oomph to drive your CRT.

I have looked into it but it doesn't work because the CRT is analog not digital.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Im not sure what your scenario is.

You have an ADC Apple 17", and a DVI video card?

Both ADC and DVI carry analog signals ( you can check, DVI-I has analog, DVI-D is digital only ).

Id give DrBott a call to make sure that the dviator carries the analog signal through ( no reason for it not to ), but it should work.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Im not sure what your scenario is.

You have an ADC Apple 17", and a DVI video card?

Both ADC and DVI carry analog signals ( you can check, DVI-I has analog, DVI-D is digital only ).

Id give DrBott a call to make sure that the dviator carries the analog signal through ( no reason for it not to ), but it should work.

This is from Dr. Bott's FAQ:

Can I use DVIator to run Apple's 17" CRT Studio display with DVIator?

No. Apple's 17" CRT Studio Display uses an analog video signal. DVIator is only for Apple's ADC flat panel displays that use a digital video signal.

I also searched around the internet to see if anyone's tried it and someone who had said it didn't work.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    So what resolution do we expect the 30" to be?

I want to see how this compares with plasmas and projectors.

Jason
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

MWSF January:

Mark my words...

Arrrghhh. I've put off replacing my eye-straining CRT for several months while waiting for the new Apple displays in November. Now you tell us they'll be here in January. In January, I presume we'll learn they'll be here in April...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Well, there are other nice monitors besides Apples.

Personally Im going to get one of Dell's 1703FP displays.

We are using them at work, and Im very happy with them.

The big negative for me is the use of an external power brick, but you have to live with some of these things.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You might want to think twice about the Dell LCD. They are pretty nice, but they use BGR instead of RGB for the pixels. It messes with Apple's systemwide sub-pixel antialiasing somehow so maybe look for a review by a Mac user before you buy one.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Well, there are other nice monitors besides Apples.

Any others with 16:9 aspect ratio?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by fbg111

Arrrghhh. I've put off replacing my eye-straining CRT for several months while waiting for the new Apple displays in November. Now you tell us they'll be here in January. In January, I presume we'll learn they'll be here in April...

November aint over yet boys and girls. Keep the eyes peeled. I'm keepin my fingers crossed.

JGC: I'm liking the idea of an 18" LCD for $499. I would snatch that up real quick.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    NEW DISPLAY PICS!!!!!

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=40647

go down a little for laink to download high-res.. this looks real!!!!!!!