Removing documents from the sidebar in Finder

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I recently copied a Powerpoint presentation onto my desktop from a usb storage thingy, when i opened finder i saw that a link to this document had appeared in the sidebar. Useful at first but after i trashed the document i cant seem to remove it. when i click on the icon a message pops up which says - "The alias "****.ppt" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found". This message also appears when i use ctrl click, option click, and apple click. My question is how to remove this? Im using 10.3.1 on a 17"powerbook. Cheers in advance for and suggestions.

Philip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Click on the item, hold down, and drag it out of the sidebar.

• Reply 2 of 6
    sweet cheers for that, im dumb i know javascript:smilie('')
  • Reply 3 of 6
    the dialog box "the xxxx alias cannot be used because the original cannot be found"

usually itself contains a capsule button for "delete alias"

but dragging from the sidebar to the desktop does the same poof as dragging from the dock used to
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

but dragging from the sidebar to the desktop does the same poof as dragging from the dock used to

And still does...

• Reply 5 of 6
    I couldn't help but smile when I read this.

It seems that more and more I'm seeing questions coming from switchers about how to get the seemingly simplest tasks done. They've been conditioned to think that things have to be harder or more convoluted than they are and overlook the simple ways. Drag-and-drop is a trademark of the Mac OS that is prevalent throughout. It's an easy "it just makes sense" way of doing things.

I'm glad that Apple remembers the importance of simplicity in these regards.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    As a switcher i do have a little trouble with osx because i think thing are going to be more more complicated than they are. Now that im becoming a more experianced user i find osx so simple to use making my work so much easier