Internet sharing over FireWire + Harddisks

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it possible to use a FireWire hard disk while sharing an internet connection over FireWire ? It would be nice if I didn't have to put away my harddisk (which is my start-up volume) while sharing my connection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by knappa

Is it possible to use a FireWire hard disk while sharing an internet connection over FireWire ? It would be nice if I didn't have to put away my harddisk (which is my start-up volume) while sharing my connection.

I don't know the answer to your question, but if you just buy a cheap router for $20 you will have solved your problem so far as I can tell.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    That's true, I'll probably do just that. But I'll keep wondering whether it's feasible.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I have iMac G4 sharing ADSL internet connection to the iBook over firewire. When if I put my external dvdburner (ADS pyro case with 2-ports) between them (both comps are connected to pyro's ports) it works just great.

I can burn dvd and surf on the internet with iBook at the same time, over that firewire connection. So i would guess it works same way with harddrives.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Can both macs access your DVD-burner then ? Or is this just plain old wishful thinking?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by knappa

Can both macs access your DVD-burner then ? Or is this just plain old wishful thinking?

Only iBook can access it, I have no idea why. Maybe because the fact that iMac is sharing the internet connection. If the ibook is disconnected from the butrner or shutdown, iMac can use the burner just fine, of course.

I could mount imac's partitions on the ibook's desktop. Example if i woukl like to burn something from the iMac. But i haven't tested would it really work. So you could access the disk using "host" computer's file sharing.