AE base station and wired router

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can i plug an AE base station into a current wired router and essentially have it provide wirless service without any changes to the current wired configuration?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gigawire

Can i plug an AE base station into a current wired router and essentially have it provide wirless service without any changes to the current wired configuration?

yes.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Open AirPort Admin Utility.

Load your basestation configuration.

Click Show All Settings.

Go to the Network tab.

Uncheck the Distribute IP addresses box.

Restart your basestation.

Your basestation will now function as a transparent bridge between your wired router and wireless clients.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gigawire

I do this with a Linksys cable modem router, although I had a huge problem that was easily solved. I had ATTBI which became Comcast, but somehow, for some reason under DHCP, even after switching from attbi.com to comcast.net, my AEBS would always pick up the attbi.com for the domain, from somewhere, despite having been completely wiped and reset. This in turn was crashing my router.

The solution: using a static IP address for the AEBS.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Can you do the opposite? That is, use the AirPort as a router and connect a hub to its LAN port for wired computers.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craig12co

I do this with a Linksys cable modem router, although I had a huge problem that was easily solved. I had ATTBI which became Comcast, but somehow, for some reason under DHCP, even after switching from attbi.com to comcast.net, my AEBS would always pick up the attbi.com for the domain, from somewhere, despite having been completely wiped and reset. This in turn was crashing my router.

That shouldn't affect anything. Having an attbi.com domain is fine providing they maintain it on the ISP side. I had an attbi.com hostname until last week. I still pick up attbi.com in the domain search field from my AEBS, and that's fine.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

That shouldn't affect anything. Having an attbi.com domain is fine providing they maintain it on the ISP side. I had an attbi.com hostname until last week. I still pick up attbi.com in the domain search field from my AEBS, and that's fine.

All I know is that for about 6-7 weeks until I diagnosed the source, having my AEBS set to get its IP automatically was crashing my Router (I tried two routers with the same symptoms, an older Netgear and a new Linksys) very often, up to 5-6 times per day. It would kill the connection for ever computer on my network, not just the ones going through the AEBS. The attbi.com was the only oddity in the settings I noticed under DHCP, and as soon as I put a fixed IP on my AEBS the problems with my router went away.

Not sure why this is the case, though...