War on Jews Expands

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by EMGeneratr

Well considering the fact that he's discussing anti-Semitism and not the anti-black racism, or anti-Irish sentiments of the early 1900s...why would he focus on them in this article?

It's awfully annoying to hear people say that Jews only complain about their oppression. I've heard time and time again that Jews downplay all other suffering but their own.

If you actually read the article you'll see that he does talk about other types of racism and discrimination and specifically dismisses the notion that racism against the Jews falls into the same category of hatred that has been suffered by many different groups (at the hands of many different groups) through time.

They only group that understands this suffering appears to be American neo-cons who have been similarly(!) badly treated by Europeans and Arabs (going by the evidence of his appeal at the end).
  • Reply 42 of 55
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Means justify the ends. That's why terrorism, and the military attacks from Israel, are both crap.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea but the "ends" of attacks on Israel are elimination of Jews from the middle east and widening the war on jews.

The "end" of Israel's self defense is an Israel safe and secure.

I'll take the later.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

The end of Israel's "self defense" is an Israel safe and secure.

Nicely put
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:

Yea but the "ends" of attacks on Israel are elimination of Jews from the middle east and widening the war on jews.

The "end" of Israel's self defense is an Israel safe and secure.

I'll take the later.

Ends don't justify the means in either case.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Let's imagine a Middle East without Israel. Instead of Israel, with its democracy and western educated populace, let us instead imagine Palestine, with a puppet government run by one of the greatest terrorists of all time, Yassar Arafat. Now, let us imagine the global economy with the primary oil reserves on which modern society depends, squarely in the hands of the rulers who have enjoyed power in the middle east for centuries. Save the chaos currently taking place in Iraq, a "stable" Middle East would be one where the current hatred of the great Satin-the USA-would flow unabated.

Why do you think the US has supported Israel since its inception in 1948?
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Jews = Israel = faulty reasoning

I think you got me wrong there, actually I was refering to the Jews in Isreal and not rest of the world. I know Jews does not mean Isreal.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Segovius--OK, you got me. I've been caught exaggerating again for the millionth time. Perhaps Yassar Arafat is not the GREATEST terrorist of all time but, obviously, the point I was trying to make was entirely missed.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    I would say he's "one of the greatest" of all time. It's self evident.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:

I would say he's "one of the greatest" of all time. It's self evident.

Sharon?
  • Reply 51 of 55
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Sharon?

Osborne? She has a filthy mouth but she's a sweetie!
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Sharon?

No the one who targets civilians and was involved in the kidnapping and murder of a US diplomat. He should walk in the same footsteps a McVey.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

If you actually read the article you'll see that he does talk about other types of racism and discrimination and specifically dismisses the notion that racism against the Jews falls into the same category of hatred that has been suffered by many different groups (at the hands of many different groups) through time.

They only group that understands this suffering appears to be American neo-cons who have been similarly(!) badly treated by Europeans and Arabs (going by the evidence of his appeal at the end).

I skimmed the article due to a lack of time. I'll reread it a bit closer.

Jews have been targeted for hatred consistantly for far longer than any other group. I'm not sure you can use that as a means to seperate anti-semitism from any other racism. Hate is hate. You can't argue against it, and you can't fight it. It really is a no win situation in that area because of it. Islamic fundamantalists breed it to stay in power and breed more hate.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    The very root of the problem, as I see it, is theocracy, or more specifically the inability and unwillingness to distinguish between religion, government, and individual identity. As long as nations identify and segregate themselves by religion, there will be fanatics willing to murder and die in the name of leaders who bleed their own people dry because, to them, those leaders represent a higher cause. They are blinded by the label of religion and do not give any thought to what or whom they are truly serving.

This is not to say that political and secular distinctions cannot be every bit as divisive, but people tend to view nationalism and political affiliation with a lot more objectivity and skepticism than they do religion. Many people, for example, vote straight Republican without giving it a second thought, but I seriously doubt many of them would be willing to blow up a bus full of innocent people for that cause.

I'm not against religion. I'm not against nationalism or politics. These things are necessary. But letting any kind of group affiliation or indoctrination guide your actions to the point where you will unquestionaingly commit atrocities against your fellow man is tragic and foolish. It is also a way of life to many people in many parts of the world.

Just something to think about.