Panther appreciation thread

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This thread is an opportunity for Panther users to show their appreciation for all the hard work that has gone into this ground breaking operating system. It's not an opportunity for people to be nasty - there are plenty of other places for you to do that.

It's easy to nit pick at Panther or moan about things that we would have liked to have seen done differently, and easier still to take the countless advancements for granted. We're probably all guilty of this to a certain degree - but how many of us have actually expressed our appreciation?

We now have probably the best mainstream operating system that has ever been conceived - packed jam full of new useability features, inherently stable and tuned to an unbelieveable degree.

So I for one, would like to take this opportunity, in the hope that maybe one day those responsible might actually stumble across it, to thank everyone that has worked on Panther. It is an excellent product, and your hard work has produced an OS that works WITH ME on so many different levels throughout my working day. Panther has made the whole experience of working with computers so much more enjoyable.

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    why dont you just send them an email?

use the os X feedback link on apple's site...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    This is more of a 'community' thing than a private A to B conversation.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I love Panther.

Amen!

• Reply 4 of 19
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    i would love panther more if my work would upgrade my machine here I'm dying to make use of expose in day to day work habits! so many times today i thought "dangit i wish i had that!"
  • Reply 5 of 19
    ** Click ** Expose All

** Click ** Expose Desktop

** Click ** Expose Application

** Click ** Expose Desktop

** Shift Click ** Expose All

You know you do it too.

Thanks Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 19
  • Reply 7 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I dig it the most. In every way. And I've only scratched the surface, really. Only been about a month (a month exactly, in fact) since I've installed it, so...

I like it more everytime I sit down at my Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Expose rocks my multi-tasking world.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I just installed it today, so far so good.

Question though, I upgraded from 10.1.5 would I have better performance if I started from scratch, I really dont want to reinialize this hard drive because Ive got Linux installed and I dont want to lose it (gentoo, took a long time).

Oh and if you say, of course you'll have better performance ! I was wondering what kind of performance gains ? (note... Im using a 600mhz ibook, yes the ones two months before they had radeons, no quartz extreme for me).

Cheers.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    My appreciation was showed over the counter when I was handed the box from the salesman.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

I just installed it today, so far so good.

Question though, I upgraded from 10.1.5 would I have better performance if I started from scratch, I really dont want to reinialize this hard drive because Ive got Linux installed and I dont want to lose it (gentoo, took a long time).

Oh and if you say, of course you'll have better performance ! I was wondering what kind of performance gains ? (note... Im using a 600mhz ibook, yes the ones two months before they had radeons, no quartz extreme for me).

Cheers.

If the linux is installed on a different partition (which I assume it is), clean installing will leave that partition intact.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    (My "Thanksgiving")

I'm thankful for Panther and its features.

- For the ability to lock and unlock my system preferences

- For it being clean AND crisp

- For the calulator now working just how I like it

- For X11

- For Xcode (although I'm not great at it yet)

- For the ability to schedule a startup time

- For AppleScript that I can use to make my computer a music alarm clock

- For the ability (although only through a script) to turn down my volume when my computer shuts down so that the chime isn't loud

- For double scroll bar buttons x2 by simply entering one line into the terminal

- For Unix (although that's not specific to Panther)

- For a default journaling file system

- For secure deletes (I wish all things deleted by all systems and programs could be overwritten, it feels so dirty when they are not)

- For remote home directories (I'm going to use this at work soon)

- For lots of other nice features introduced in previous Mac OS systems

Happy Thanksgiving!

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Exposé period. 8) Exposé period. 8) Exposé period. 8) Exposé period. 8)
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Exposé period. 8) Exposé period. 8)
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Exposé period. 8)
  • Reply 16 of 19
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I Panther every-night before going to bed.

I love all it's features, but the one I love most is it's speeeeeeeeeed on my trusty 350 G4. Even the trash can now empties immediately!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Ive been using Panther for a couple of days now and I can honestly say it feels like Im using a completely different computer, a newer better computer that is.

Yay Panther

• Reply 18 of 19
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I like Panther.

But I won't mind having multiple desktops in the OS, or unix format mailboxes back .. Panther also makes me feel I take too much space, I should just be smaller and quieter than a G5 and less to look at than a 20" lcd.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    I love the way they have polished the OS. Panther is seriously a beautiful thing to use and is so simple and elegant...

My appreciation can seldom not be expressed by words. This is one of those times.

And if someone from Apple stumbles across this thread. HIRE ME I want in!

Heh heh.

Jimzip