GRRR! MS Word - Dictionary won't stay! :mad:

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is starting to piss me off now!

I'm using MS Word to type up a uni essay. I 've set preferences to check spelling and grammar as I type. I need the UK English dictionary to be in use. For weeks this has been no problem. Now, the dictionary keeps reverting back to US English (effing favor and behavior ). So I STOP WORKING and change the dictionary to UK and save it to the normal. Bang. Straight away it reverts to US. Sometimes it waits a while, just to f**k with me. Now it can't be that I've only just noticed this. I've been using Word for weeks.

(10.2.8 15PB1.25 Office:mac v.X) WTF could be the matter?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    This kept happening to me and it was MADDENING.

I fixed it in the end by creating a custom dictionary and removing the American one. I had to get rid of every 'behavior' and 'flavor' again but it was worth it.

Give up on the UK one and start again. There might be an alternative, but the Mactopia website was utterly useless.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    If you've upgraded to Panther, you may want to simply use TextEdit, then save as a .doc file.

Bypass Word altogether. I gave up on it not long after Office v.X came out. :P
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Hurumph
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Use something like BatChMod to change the permissions of the MS Office folder to drwxrwx, as I've had issues with MS Word not saving other application settings until I did this.

(I tried typing M-dollar sign, and I get happy faces? I never realized just how much of a curse word that was!)