Bug with the ignore feature

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
First off, the picture.

http://homepage.mac.com/ryantann/.Public/ignore.jpg

It really seems to mess up the formatting.

edit: Changed pic to link.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Which Browser/Platform?

J 8)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Of course, how could I forget that!

Safari and OSX 10.2.6.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    It is that way intentionally, so people would see that they had someone on their ignore list and of course also because the hope was that they wouldn't use the feature too much.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I like Defiant's interpretation of the "problem" - that's my stance on this issue as well.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I like Defiant's interpretation of the "problem" - that's my stance on this issue as well.

I would truly appreciate it if you could fix it anyhow. It's so nice to be able to skip quickly those posts I know I don't want to read. The feature is there, why not make it useable?

Please?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Mostly because I'm lazy.

I'll try fixing this tomorrow, though.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    But Brad, if you fix it, people will use it more. I believe you said that what I said above some time ago. Why change it?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

But Brad, if you fix it, people will use it more. I believe you said that what I said above some time ago. Why change it?

Why be repressive?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Here you go. I hope you're satisfied:

• Reply 10 of 11
    I am quite satisfied, though I haven't seen it in action yet. Of course, I know that by asking for this, I do expose myself, but really, Brad, are your feelings that strong when it comes to me? I guess it's a joke, or something comparable, and I shouldn't mind it. Take one for the team, and more of that New Orleans Jazz. When it comes to the ethos of the ignore feature, however, I believe it's wrong to tell someone that you are ignoring them (though I have once, in a fit of adolescence, but that got settled rather quickly). It creates an imbalance. Ignoring someone is a sneaky thing to do, and should really only be engaged in when you do not care one bit for the writings of a person. Taunting that person with your aversion is a bit in conflict with that. It's trying to persuade yourself that you're better, or higher up on the chain of life, or privy to some other metaphor for altior, fortior, melior, and yet, flaunting proves you wrong. It's wrong staring you in the face. Staring you down as if you were a junkyard poodle.

Such is my opinion, for the record. And you'll be glad to know that of the 0 to 10.000 or however many persons member on these boards, none have known nor have had reason to feel bad for one minute because of my smallpersonness.

What's your opinion?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Oh, sorry about that. I had to ignore *someone* in order to test it. Who better?

I honestly meant it when I asked it it was satisfactory because I just completely deleted the old postbit_ignore template and rewrote it from scratch.

As for the philosophy behind ignoring, it simplifies to this for me: ignoring is bad. Very rarely are there cases in which I think individual members actually need to be ignored. I don't know of any members that are so reliably predictable that every single post is essentially the same. I also don't know of any members that post offensive material in every single post that needs to be blocked out. Those members that are so bad will get banned, as with the recent incident with a member named aapl. It happens and we try to deal with it as soon as we know about it.