Back-Up My Hard Drive w/ iSync

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey, I have a general question and would appreciate your help if you know how!

I have an external Firewire Hard Drive that I'd like to use as a Back-up to my iBook hard drive. Ideally I'd like to use iSync to synchronize files that I added, edit or delete from my laptop so that I always have a current back-up incase my laptop crashes.

Does anyone know if I can do this with iSync.

If not, is there any other program that I could do this with?

THANKS!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    first of all... no need to have multiple threads with the exact same content...

2nd... why don't you look into .Mac? the backup utility that comes with it will do exactly what you are looking for... but i don't think iSync is capable of it

check it out

www.mac.com
  • Reply 2 of 7
    isync does not do what you want ... only syncs address book, bookmarks, calendars with another computer or phone/pda
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I've been wondering about this for a while, I looked into .mac, but thats only 100mb on the iDisk. Can I use the backup tool for an external drive too?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yes. Backup works with drives, CDs, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    BackUP through .Mac only works on the iDisk if you are a TRIAL MEMBER.

If you want to pay APPLE $100 for a year service that doesn't include internet, just storage then you can back up to your external hard drive.

Personally for $100 I'd rather by an MP3 player or an external hard drive.

But then I'm stuck again trying to back up my 50GB of hard drive information and no easy way...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I personally advice you to use other software , preferrably a software that you can test it for free before anything else , a software like that is Dmailer ( http://www.dmailer.com/dmailer-backup.html ) you can also store it online but in your case as you allready have another hdd i don't think you will need it .

But anyway it will help you backup ur iBook.

Regards
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr_Holistic View Post

Hey, I have a general question and would appreciate your help if you know how!

I have an external Firewire Hard Drive that I'd like to use as a Back-up to my iBook hard drive. Ideally I'd like to use iSync to synchronize files that I added, edit or delete from my laptop so that I always have a current back-up incase my laptop crashes.

Does anyone know if I can do this with iSync.

If not, is there any other program that I could do this with?

THANKS!

"so that I always have a current back-up"

What's wrong with Time Machine? It's part of OSX and does an excellent job.

Connect that external HD. Fire up Time Machine, configure, activate, and it will make a new base backup file. That may take some time, this one time.

After that, every time you connect that external HD and click Time Machine's "Back up now", in the menubar, it makes an incremental backup. Takes only a few minutes.

Of course if you would use Time Capsule you wouldn't even have to do that. It would all be wireless and hands-off.