Pot is bad, kids, m'kay?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    You can have a certain amount of alcohol before it has any effect. Same thing can't be said about pot.

Pot is all about getting doped, alcohol isn't. There's a HUGE taste/social factor that alcohol has that weed lacks.

Seriously, I occasionally drink beer, not because I want to get drunk, but because I want a non-sweet drink (other than water) with my meal.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

So if pot were legal, it wouldn't be a gateway drug? Isn't that an argument FOR legalization?

(I personally am in the cash-crop crowd with Eugene)

Yes, a very effective one. But it's also an argument for taking pot distribution a lot more seriously, and cracking down on casual users (who provide the economic incentives to build the network).
  • Reply 63 of 68
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by finboy

The "not a gateway" thing is ludicrous to anyone who's actually been in or around the drug culture.

Go back and look at the RAND explanation.

And don't give us this line about "anyone who's actually been in or around the drug culture." Just because you and jimbob do meth with the one-eyed girl doesn't mean you have a clue.

Oh, and you don't know anything about the 'network' from the bottom. Nothing.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

You can have a certain amount of alcohol before it has any effect. Same thing can't be said about pot.

Pot is all about getting doped, alcohol isn't. There's a HUGE taste/social factor that alcohol has that weed lacks.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Marijuana is sometimes classified as a mild depressant, i.e., like having a beer or two, at low levels, and a hallucinogen at higher levels. I think lots of people actually do smoke a little bit, just like some people have just a couple beers. On the other hand, binge drinking is a huge issue among young people. I'm with you, I really don't ever drink to get drunk anymore, but there are lots and lots of people who do.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

BTW, I recently rented Reefer Madness on DVD. Highly recommended. Really, really, dumb, and just boring at times. But amusing. Netflix has got it. It's a "Something Awful" production.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Virtually the only reason that someone DOESN'T smoke pot at some point is that they are afraid of it (ie, they're mummy's boys).

Or maybe people don't smoke it simply because they don't want to. I'm sure Olympic athletes don't smoke pot because they are "afraid" of it. I'm a runner and I don't smoke or drink anything due to health reasons and personal preference. Hell, I don't even drink anything with caffene or carbonation.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    My apologies, I mistakenly left out "health Nazi" in my list of reasons why people don't smoke pot.

Consider my glaring omission corrected.

Barto
  • Reply 67 of 68
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Or maybe people don't smoke it simply because they don't want to. I'm sure Olympic athletes don't smoke pot because they are "afraid" of it. I'm a runner and I don't smoke or drink anything due to health reasons and personal preference. Hell, I don't even drink anything with caffene or carbonation.

Same with me. I am an athlete and I don't want to mess up my body with that kind of stuff. I catch a lot of crap from friends for not even eating or drinking anything with caffeine or carbonation, but I know it's the healthy way to live, and that's how I want to live. If you want to put me in the category of health nazi, thats fine, but I have other reasons for avoiding drinking and smoking too, not just for my health.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

My apologies, I mistakenly left out "health Nazi" in my list of reasons why people don't smoke pot.

Consider my glaring omission corrected.

However, I don't smoke because I do vipassana. That and I just don't have a reason to these days. Just like gardening. There's nothing wrong with it, but I don't do it.

Oh, and I'm sort of a closet health freak.