bluetooth incorporation

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
does anybody have the latest info on where apple is on either (1) having an airport card with bluetooth incorporated on it, or, (2) the next iBook with bluetooth otherwise built in?

bluetooth dongles are not apple.

thnx

[ 07-27-2002: Message edited by: niji ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I would say it's a strong possibility because bluetooth is cheap, small, and supported by apple. However, I don't know for certain.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Current builds of Jaguar seem to have all kinds of Bluetooth support included, like a Bluetooth utility in the Utilities folder. That sort of indicates heavy support for Bluetooth... new towers released in August along with Jaguar... there's probably a connection there somewhere.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I would say we will be seeing Bluetooth very soon indeed!

Actually I was sorta surprised the iMac didnt have it perhaps so that the keyboard and mouse could be wireless! That would rock!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    o iborgo iborg Posts: 14member
    My 800 Mhy DVI Titanium has an empty micro BGA Pad on the mainboard, that hast its own clock OSC and conneect at least some sort to the south bridge.

Given the location of it and the number of the Pins, it easily could be intended for a single chip bluetooth solution.

Without taking the MoBo out, I wasn't able to further determine the connections.

Maybe I should look at Agere's Website for a nice Bluetooth solution on a chip ;-)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    buisbuis Posts: 30member
    It certainly would suck more than a little to have to rely on a little BlueTooth thingy sticking out the side of an iBook or PowerBook. It'd really... protrude.

I'm actually putting off getting a new portable Mac because they don't have BlueTooth in them yet (among other reasons). It would be just like the "new Apple" to leave people with current Macs behind when new BlueTooth-inside Macs ship.

If Apple would announce an AirPort card with bluetooth in it, I'd buy a new Mac today!

Anybody know anything in this direction?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    emacemac Posts: 6member
    Would bluetooth even work well(range wise) in a TiBook?

For those of you that don't know TiBooks have tarrible range for Airport because of the metal it's made of, my TiBook cuts out a lot when I'm one room away from where it is, JUST ONE WALL!!! And then when I'm about 20 feet away in a room it get's to about two bars.

I don't even think the bluetooth range would be high at all in a TiBook, but maybe it's just my TiBook, do any of you guys have any troubles with yours?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    This is one reason i'm holding out for a powerbook, bluetooth built in.

The purpose of bluetooth is not offer big distance connectivty. Just a lower power short range network.

I just was able test my t68i phone today with my buddy's 667 tibook, usuing the dlink dongle. Works great, range was about 20-25 feet. THat's great for bluetooth, my bluetooth handsfree only works with 20feet of the phone.

Come'on Apple
  • Reply 9 of 11
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    i too am waiting on a new purchase of iBook *or lighter equivalent* that has bluetooth built in.

can you imagine having yr own pam with the new P800 from sony-ericsson...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    woozlewoozle Posts: 64member
    I dont think you'll see bluetooth built in, anymore than airport is built in.

Im pretty sure that bluetooth will be integrated into the airport card, at the same price point.

The reason that this product hasnt been anounced, is that Jaguar isnt out yet. Im expecting it to be released at the same time, maybe even with the bluetooth mouse and keyboard Ive been waiting for.

Given the short range that bluetooth is supposed to have, I also dont think you'll have any issues with the powerbook.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    [quote]bluetooth will be integrated into the airport card at the same price point. <hr></blockquote>

I will buy that. Maybe that would make the damn Airport cards worth the 100 bucks they've been charging since they came out years ago.