Can't get Bluetooth mouse to work - help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Before getting too far into this, I should state that I'm pretty much an OSX newbie, and I may be missing something obvious. I recently bought a 20" iMac, and have been enjoying it a great deal. When I bought the computer I also bought a Bluetooth USB adapter and Apple Bluetooth mouse (I did not buy a BT keyboard, as the salesman told me I could use the mouse with a regular keyboard).

When I went to install the BT adapter, the instructions said to simply plug it into a USB port, and that if a blue light came on, it was working. Fair enough. The booklet also said that if I saw a bluetooth icon in "System Prefs", I didn't need to install any software, as the software was already installed. So far, so good.

When I opened the mouse box, I installed the batteries and loaded the CD into the drive. There were two installers inside: one for "keyboard and mouse", which when I clicked on it would not let me install because it said the software was already on my hard drive. Okay. Then there was a "Bluetooth updater", which told me to download "the latest bluetooth firmware". I clicked on it, and the progress bar moved rapidly through 98% of its "progress report", then stopped and stayed there for half an hour. I force quit, and tried again, same thing. Hmmm. When I went back to "System Prefs", the Bluetooth icon was gone, and now there is a grayed-out BT icon on my menu bar which informs me, "Bluetooth: Not Available". Does anybody know what might be going on?

As I said, I'm kind of new to all of this, and kind of a cyber-dummy to boot, so if anyone can shed any light on this issue, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    After trying again to download the "update", I was finally successful - I installed the update on my hard drive, restarted the computer, and....and now there is no bluetooth icon in System Prefs, the Bluetooth setup assistant informs me that there is no hardware to set up, and the blue light on the bluetooth adapter is no longer on. I'm worse off than when I started. Can anybody offer any suggestions?