10.3.2 was bad news for me

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Jeez guys, just because a couple folks have odd catastrophes...

Permissions are a weak point for installs.

Mr. Me, you might have accidentally set Sticky Keys or Sticky Mouse.

Press Shift five times to turn off the former, Option five times for the latter. They're party of the Universal Access in System Preferences.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Could we lock this thread? It was started by a troll because he wasn't looking to get help, hasn't tried any of the tried and true solutions and hasn't even re-contributed to his own thread. And really doesn't do anything to help anyone solve possible problems. Sorry, but this stuff just annoys me.... But I'm not a mod, so it doesn't matter much.... No problems here either.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

maybe the mods should retitle this thread perhaps? \

[old]10.3.2 was bad news

[new]10.3.2 was bad news for me

What are they paying you guys to come up with incisive additions like that?
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Yeah, that's why I edited the title, letting it stay open to give folks the benefit of the doubt. But yeah... without a litle effort from both sides, we're looking at an imminent lock.

Edit: PAID???? Surely you jest.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Could we lock this thread?

The thread stays. It stands as a prime example that with most updates, most people have no problems at all. They are the silent majority. They have no reason to post, typically, if everything is going along just fine.

When people only see oodles of posts about various problems, they get the impression that each update is a terrible one. This really shouldn't be the case because it is very rarely true.

And... PAID?? Umm...

• Reply 26 of 40
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    No problems here either.

What has happened, I now see multiple moving smiles?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I hate to post just to say "Everything worked fine here"...

but ya...

Everything is working just fine here.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    All fine here - Sawtooth G4/450 and B&W G3/550....
  • Reply 29 of 40
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Jeez guys, just because a couple folks have odd catastrophes...

Permissions are a weak point for installs.

Press Shift five times to turn off the former, Option five times for the latter. They're party of the Universal Access in System Preferences.

Sorry, but Mr. Me is not having any problems, self-inflicted or otherwise.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    I'm gonna break the trend and say that I did have a problem as did one of my colleagues. This has more to do with updating from the 10.3.2 beta and not 10.3.1

I had the first 10.3.2 beta which worked great. Tried to put the 2nd one on and after that I could no longer use the keyboard or mouse. (USB ports were dead)

Even though I have 2 disks in My G4 733 one with OSX 10.3 Server other with 10.3 client I was unable to remove the update using the removal tool that came with the beta (starting from 10.3 server that is). It does give you the choice of selecting each drive but said 10.3.2 was not installed.

After re-installing 10.3 and putting the official update on everything worked fine. The same happend to my lucky colleague who has a 1.8ghz G5.

So if any of you had the Beta (think it was 7D21 that caused me the problem) you might want to think about using the remove tool that came with it before putting on the official update.

Apart from that problem which was my fault for not removing the first beta, 10.3.2 is a great update.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Press Shift five times to turn off the former, Option five times for the latter. They're party of the Universal Access in System Preferences. [/B]

Thanks for the tip, but no dice. Re-launching the finder doesn't fix it either. Anyone know how to remove an update? Then if nothing else, I'll know if it's due to the update.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Aside from a couple of minor hassles (extension conflict and slightly slower boot times), I think 10.3.2 is a very good bug-fix update. In reading other forums, it seems to have solved a lot of problems.

On the boot times, I DiskWarriored the startup directory after all the updates and found 8 minor problems. After replacing it, the boot time got a bit faster. I can still see each extension being loaded in the progress bar at boot, but my gut feeling is that Apple has put in some safety check routines. Which is a good thing.

I don't know how to say this without sounding silly, but my Power Mac G4 seems more stable now, less glitchy. It's only a feeling based on a lot of usage before 10.3.2.

Some screen operations seem a bit faster to me also.

All in all, a pretty fine update.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Latitude D600, fine here.

Ok ok I'm at school on one and reading this, but it worked fine on my 15" AlBook.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Keyboard backlighting appears to be finally fixed. Cool.

But, i was running low on juice, then that message shows up, telling me to connect my 'book to power-source. I never do that, and always let it go to sleep, then connect it, but this time it either didn't go to sleep properly, and just turned off, or i wasn't patient enough.

Trying to duplicate it now...
  • Reply 35 of 40
    guartho -

Sounds like only that account is just wacked? Why don't you just change permissions on your wacked user's directories you need to recover stuff from and then delete that account?

Other than i'd try to repair permissions (from your working admin account) and re-install update from the downloaded combo intstaller if you think it was a bad install problem.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    That sounds like the best plan, in my opinion, Guartho (sorry, Mr. Me. ). It's probably a simple preferences file that's corrupt, but not entirely sure which one. Since it seems to be only one user that's affected, then the problem is almost certainly in /Users/<thatuser>/Library/Preferences/. You may want to look at the timestamps of files in that folder and see what all has been changed since the update. Odds are it's one of those files that's causing the problem.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    MINE is f*cked. Any ideas?

I ran the installer from software update. It installed started the optimizing and just sat at one spot in the optimization process for about 6 hours. I finally just forced software update to quit, then rebooted. Now it stays at the gray Apple logo forever trying to boot. I guess I could reinstall 10.3 again, just wondering if there is any way around this....
  • Reply 38 of 40
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What about the fan problem on PowerBook 12"s? Do I really need to wait for 10.3.3?

I like comment about it on Apple's discussions: "nicest solution would be a user controllable fan, with a choice of "noisy but cool" vs "quiet but warm".
  • Reply 39 of 40
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

guartho -

Sounds like only that account is just wacked?

turns out that an image file I had was somehow causing all my problems. (I made it myself so who knows.) I was moving things out of my account into another using my PowerMac to access my folders... when I opened my old account it worked fine. I then narrowed it down to my little killer jpg and deleted. Thanks for all the help gang.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    10.32 actually gave me one surprise

Some very old Classic apps like Fontographer and SoundEdit 16 didn't work at all under 10.3.0 (Message: Cannot open this applicaion due to program error) now all back to normal and work fine under 10.3.2.

And Classic environment only takes 6 and a half seconds to launch (of course I have very slim extension set)

Great.