iBook keyboard magnet

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm giving an old iBook (Dual USB) as a gift and wanted to replace the standard 10GB drive w/ a 40GB along w/ installing an Airport card and extra RAM. The card & ram are no problem but the drive was more involved so I had a local user group techie handle it. In the process, this guy loses a magnet that sits on top of a screw directly underneath the keyboard, near the F7 key.

How big a deal is it not having this magnet and where could I find a new one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i think the magnet may be related to the sleep function of the machine when the lid is closed, but i'm not positive.

as for where to get another, you could try and Apple store.

otherwise, there are a variety of small LED devices that use magnets to stick together and create a cicuit.

thost magnets can be the right size/strength to get the job done.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The magnet isn't that important, I don't think. The magnet's sole purpose is to keep the middle of the keyboard held down to the computer's case when the keyboard locking screw isn't used, so it doesn't flex when you type.

The magnet for the sleep function is located somewhere else, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

The magnet for the sleep function is located somewhere else, if I'm not mistaken.

The sleep detection magnet is near the latch mechanism.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I honestly think the sole reason for that magnet being there is to hide the screw underneath, causing people who attempt to take their ibooks apart to howl in frustration when they cant figure out how to get the damn thing open. Thats what happened to me anyway, when I finally pried it out using a screwdriver I was extremely vexed.