need eBay advice... "come in murbot"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
murbot - I'm looking for an old iMac for my parents, and since I noticed that your homepage takes me to eBay, (and since your predilection for the high turnover of Mac models is well known) I thought I'd direct this your way:

Is there any way to track an auction - or do I have to keep revisiting the same page throughout the day?

TIA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    There should be a "Watch this Item" link somewhere on each item's page. Watched items appear on your eBay profile page.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, I'm sure there are some ways out there for tracking an auction, but I haven't bothered to look or use any. I know IE used to pop up some message once in a while about tracking auctions.

Personally, I'll just check it manually. I'm not usually tracking so many auctions that I can't just have a single window with tabs for each auction that I can check periodically throughout the day.

Anyway, if you bid several times when there are still days left in an auction, you'll just bump the price up unnecessarily. (I encourage this in my auctions, but it's not a good idea generally)

EDIT - yes, the Watch This Item page is a good way to track items you want. For some reason I thought you meant getting updates on bids, etc... ah, nevermind. I don't make sense on Monday mornings until I've had coffee #3.

In the right corner of each auction, there is a link that says "Watch this item (track it in My eBay)". In My eBay, you get a page that shows items you are bidding on, items you won, didn't win, and items you are watching. Sometimes though, when auctions are about to end, it doesn't update immediately, so you should have that auction open in a window and just refresh it to get up to the minute status on it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

[snip]

EDIT - yes, the Watch This Item page is a good way to track items you want. For some reason I thought you meant getting updates on bids, etc... ah, nevermind. I don't make sense on Monday mornings until I've had coffee #3.

And by coffee #3 he means beer #5.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Also, if you're the high bidder, you can have eBay email you if you get outbid.

It's only 11:26am here man, no beer for at least another 4.5 hours. heh heh

With the old iMacs, you have to be really patient too. They sometimes go for totally stupid money. If you're in a hurry for something, and you use eBay to get it, you'll end up getting suckered.