DVD Rip, easiest and fastest way?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    you know, I would really not use handbrake.

I have tried all of them and handbrake, although fairly easy to use falls for a few reasons.

1. It doesn't offer that many features and options you can't do a lot with it

2. The encoding quality is less than that of ffmpegX

3. It takes MUCH longer than ffmpegX, more than twice as much on my iBook G4

Give ffmpegX a shot. furthermore, you can select the exact episodes and encode them separately into individual episodes with ffmpegX

hope this helps.

Steve.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    thanks, i'll give it a shot.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Let us know how it goes. I remember installation was a pain too, have they finally made it drag and drop?

I finally watched some DVDs from DVD2One I'd made on a TV today and noticed compression artifacts, actually. It is noticeable in fade-in/fade-outs and smoky/dark scenes. Same with DivX. Even REAL DVDs look crappy with fade-ins and dark smoky scenes. The movie The Shadow's quality is terrible, worse than Divx, nothing I could do about it, and it didn't even need recompression. Ah well, it looks good enough and the great thing is most of these DVDs work everywhere, however some from DVD2One wouldn't work in a PS2. Some would, some wouldn't. I think it's because they recently added "Constant Bit Rate" engine, which is more compatible apparently.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    according to this program, which is still a pita to install, ripping files from a dvd violates copywright laws. that is the message i get when i try to start it. it seems i have to copy the 7GB of media to my hard disk first, then convert it. that is just rediculous in my opinion. these are very preliminary thoughts, but the whole thing seems be inefficient as far as human intervention goes. if it truly does cut actual conversion time in half then it's completely worth it though. we'll see, i'm hopeful for now, and i suppose it is my only option as handbrake refused to do it altogether.

well i copied the files which took about 20min. then i reopened ffmpegx to convert it to .avi. it did this for about 5 seconds and then declared the conversion complete. this is obviously wrong but i gave it a shot and sure enough, with quicktime and vlc, it plays a second or two of a hopelessly pixelated screen shot of the begining of the video clip and nothing more. this has left me tired and quite confused. i'll try some more tomorrow. has anyone here successfully ripped episodes with this program?
  • Reply 25 of 35
    it's actually a little hard to use without using the manual.

1. Did you install it correctly? read all the read me?

2. use the tutorial on the site. this is a must
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Well...DVDs ARE 7 gigs, usually, if they're dual-layered. That's why it takes a while to import, and then compress, and then burn. Every now and then you get a DVD that's 4 gigs, like an old one without all the other junk, and you can just use DVDBackup and burn with toast. Of course I'm assuming you have a SuperDrive...I mean why wouldn't you?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    burn only the actual movie, not all the filler crap if you're doing anything other than a TV series.

95 times out of 100 the actual movie is under 4.7 Gb and will be backed up with zero compression artifacts.

besides, cleans your movies of all that crap.

for those not aware of this, the entire rip, encode and burn process is under an hour on a fast machine with the dvdbackup, dvd2one,toast combo.

yeah it costs money, but what's your time worth?
  • Reply 28 of 35
    how big a dvd is isn't really a concern to me. and i have no desire to burn them, as i have the actual dvd. i want the clips on my computer so i don't have to lug around a dozen dvds when i go to hawaii in a couple weeks for a swimming training trip, and for when i travel for other reasons. and i don't have a superdrive because as a teenager the $200 wasn't worth it to me at the time.

anyway, i went through the tutorial online and i am doing it the same way. i installed the engines as it instructed. it amazes me that there is not a free program that is easy to install that will just let me set a bitrate and rip episodes without failing and without this copywright crap.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Then use DVDBackup and select Open VIDEO_TS folder in DVD Player, if you have a large drive with lots of space. It's just like having the DVDs with you.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Methinks a sticky would be in order for all those DVD rippers out there, but then again....

Thanks folks for some really useful info...
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Then use DVDBackup and select Open VIDEO_TS folder in DVD Player, if you have a large drive with lots of space. It's just like having the DVDs with you.

I always use this method. However, not all DVD movies work. Anyway, I am waiting for 8X burner and dual layer DVD-R. My MDD doesn't come with a SuperDrive, I can add one to it but the current 4.7 DVD-R won't do the job. I want to keep the whole stuff in to.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    You can, Select Disk Copy in DVD2One. Its quality is pretty good, my Family Guys look identical. Dual-layered burners probably won't be worth it because by that time there well be HD-DVD and Blueray. Superdrives are tried and true and the way to go. Also Kenneth you might be right: I copied the movie Oscar (very funny though no one's ever seen it, has Tim Curry, Silvester Stallone, etc) and it won't open in DVD Player with Open VIDEO_TS. However VLC doing the same thing, it works perfectly. I'm going to try a re-rip when I go back to college to make sure.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Jus thought I'd chip in. I've been ripping my DVDs to my comp for the sheer pleasure of having them with me all the time without having to carry the CDs with me. And I used Handbrake. Worked on 4 out of 5 DVDs so far (failed on the Matrix - one of my favourite films unfortunately. Has the Matrix got special protection software?)

I love it. Its FREE and its REALLY easy to use. Cropping is the only option I want and it has it. (The MASSIVE range of options on DVDibbler was stupid.) I play movies in MPlayer or VLC. Iv'e tried to use DivX Doctor to convert them to .mov files to play in QuickTime but it doesn't work. The .mov files play in QuickTime but the syncing is out by, like, 20 secs by the end of the film.

OK, It takes a shocking 4-5 hours to rip an average film (no extras), but i jus do it overnite. In the morning, I wake up to a new treat in my Movies folder.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    If you want to play them in QuickTime go here for the 3ivx plugin: www.3ivx.com

It works on "good" Divxs. For bad ones you still need MPlayer.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    The Matrix Reloaded works in DVD Backup 1.3 tho.. You may want to clean the disc.