Diebold

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    drewprops is correct. The problem here is not the discussion of voting problems and potential scandal, it's the totally ridiculous political bent that is put on it.

This is where I stop my few days of agreeing, in part, with sammi jo. It's pure insanity to think Republicans want an unfair voting system. Could there be some Republican corruption? I'm sure. Could there be Democratic corruption? I'm equally sure. I could go on for hours about how REPUBLICANS have been cheated out of their right to vote in the past, how REPUBLICANS have been disenfranchised, and how DEMOCRATS have bought and sold votes like pork futures....but I won't. I won't go on about Dems in the 2000 election conducting massive, illegal same-day voter registration and BUSSING to the polls. I won't go on about the Dems liking of having dead people vote, or handing out ciggarettes for votes...all of which happened in the 2000 Presidential election.

I won't go on about these things because most Democrats won't resort to these things, just like the vast majority of Republicans wouldn't. I agree we need certified and reviewable voting systems...but jesus christ...like drew says: Let's grow up.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Technology isn't the problem, abusing technology is the problem, and in that regard you can consider online voting and punch cards and writing your vote on a slip of paper to all be "technology". If the people in charge of keeping and tallying the votes are ethical people, the technology will never be a barrier to valid election results (generally).
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I hate to say it, but I think you are that stupid.

If the machines were rigged, then yes, that is a bad thing.

Hmmm,..

Well, pat yourself on the back for being particularly clever and smart.. After all, time and again you manage to put words in my mouth, and make up arguments for me that I never made, or intended to make. And you being such a nice and decent fellow, such a nobel and bashful soul, you wont even take credit for these arguments you made up for me! But think I see you point. Only stupid me would be such a fool as to not claim credit for these wonderful and coherent arguments you made up on my behalf.. ahh, stupid me.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:

Originally posted by majorspunk

Hmmm,..

Well, pat yourself on the back for being particularly clever and smart.. After all, time and again you manage to put words in my mouth, and make up arguments for me that I never made, or intended to make. And you being such a nice and decent fellow, such a nobel and bashful soul, you wont even take credit for these arguments you made up for me! But think I see you point. Only stupid me would be such a fool as to not claim credit for these wonderful and coherent arguments you made up on my behalf.. ahh, stupid me.

Well you've discovered what I did awhile ago here: One apparently must be a liberal to be intelligent and thoughtful. Oh, I've also learned that no matter how well the economy turns around, it still isn't good...and even when it is it will just go back to being bad because we have a Republican President and that's what happens with them. Furthermore, I've learned that United States is an evil imperialist nation who invades poor, inncocent countries to plunder their national resources and rape their women and occupy their rightful land. Finally, I've learned that liberals stand for truth, justice, freedom, fairness and equality, while conservatives stand for fascism, ill-gotten gains, repression, war mongering, corruption and generally being mean.

What an education.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    majorspunk and SDW2001, why don't you both go back and reread the post I was responding to. If you think that post from majorspunk really deserved an intelligent and thoughtful response you're being silly.

The post was worthless drivel. You'll both overlook that because you're both partisan.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:

majorspunk and SDW2001, why don't you both go back and reread the post I was responding to. If you think that post from majorspunk really deserved an intelligent and thoughtful response you're being silly.

The post was worthless drivel. You'll both overlook that because you're both partisan.

As Moogs correctly stated, the whole issue of electronic voting is a non issue..

Now, I may feel that the complaints raised are "worthless drivel" and "stupid" - borrowing your words, but I'd never call anyone as such, or put words in their mouth to make up strawman arguments on their behalf to later falsely attack them with them. And you have done this over and over and over again.

I've been on these boards a loooooong time now. And I have yet to see you take a constructive position on any issue. Very simply put, you are an Anarchist - an advocate for the Devil. You think you might be clever cloaking this under the guise of extreme "Liberalism", but anyone with even the slightest discerning eye, should see your hooves, horns, and tail with every argument you take.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:

As Moogs correctly stated, the whole issue of electronic voting is a non issue..

Now, I may feel that the complaints raised are "worthless drivel" and "stupid" - borrowing your words, but I'd never call anyone as such, or put words in their mouth to make up strawman arguments on their behalf to later falsely attack them with them. And you have done this over and over and over again.

I've been on these boards a loooooong time now. And I have yet to see you take a constructive position on any issue. Very simply put, you are an Anarchist - an advocate for the Devil. You think you might be clever cloaking this under the guise of extreme "Liberalism", but anyone with even the slightest discerning eye, should see your hooves, horns, and tail with every argument you take.

Sorry bud, but it's not a non-issue. Most any rational human beings can see that. Some aren't willing to look though, and I'll assume that means you.

What Moogs said is an oversimplification of the situation. The difference is that all technology isn't created equal. Currently, electronic voting technology is owned by the republicans. His point may be true in a generic sense, but his point doesn't fit our current situation.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Wow SammiJo, I'll bet you've never been accused of being open-minded - if I support one candidate it means that I'm not in vehement support of the integrity of the American voting system. It's crap postings like that from you that negate your ability to engage some of us in even-handed discussions with you.

I'm personally affected by any potential inadequacies in the current electronic voting system. I want to ensure that our most powerful right remains true and unsullied. Just because I vote differently than you shouldn't mean we don't share the same concerns.

Grow up.

Wally O'Dell, the CEO of Diebold was caught out a couple of months back stating that "I will do my utmost to make sure Bush is elected in 2004" . This kind of bias makes our "electoral system" look like a bad joke... the type of mess the UN should be called in to monitor for fairness, just like they do in third world nations when they get round to running elections. When a private corporation is contracted to provide machines that are (a) easily hackable and (b) unavailable for public examination, and (c) the head of the corporation responsible for providing the voting machines has admitted his bais towards one side, and intent....the gist of the quote "Doesnt anyone else (who isn't a BushCorp supporter) see any problems here?", should be plainer than obvious.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:

I'm personally affected by any potential inadequacies in the current electronic voting system. I want to ensure that our most powerful right remains true and unsullied.

Drewprops: If you truly feel personally affected (re. our electoral system's integrity, or lack thereof) then read this article:

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0310/S00211.htm
  • Reply 30 of 44
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    The idea of a second-tier, physical accounting method seems like a slam-dunk to me. If that means printouts, fine. But consider power-outages, equipment failure and improper handling by ill-trained workers. That had best be one damned-fine printing system.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

Sorry bud, but it's not a non-issue. Most any rational human beings can see that. Some aren't willing to look though, and I'll assume that means you.

What Moogs said is an oversimplification of the situation. The difference is that all technology isn't created equal. Currently, electronic voting technology is owned by the republicans. His point may be true in a generic sense, but his point doesn't fit our current situation.

This is really getting boring..
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

This is really getting boring..

Discussing the integrity of elections is boring? Are you that unconcerned that our most fundamental freedoms could be on its way out? Would you prefer totalitarianism?
  • Reply 33 of 44
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Discussing the integrity of elections is boring? Are you that unconcerned that our most fundamental freedoms could be on its way out? Would you prefer totalitarianism?

I'm sure he's not unconcerned about those things. However, I'm willing to guess that he, like many other people, is tired of having words put into his mouth and posed with these types of asinine questions at every drop of the coin.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Yeah, that's it. I prefer totalitarianism.

Here's what else I find boring: "Currently, electronic voting technology is owned by the republicans."
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:

Yeah, that's it. I prefer totalitarianism.

Here's what else I find boring: "Currently, electronic voting technology is owned by the republicans."

Sorry kid.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yes, Bunge can't help himsmelf.

I think we need a physical papertrail of some of the posts on AppleInsider.....'cause there's certainly biased accounting happening in some of these threads~
  • Reply 37 of 44
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It's all controlled by the Illuminati and the Masons anyhow!!
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:

Yes, Bunge can't help himsmelf.

I think we need a physical papertrail of some of the posts on AppleInsider.....'cause there's certainly biased accounting happening in some of these threads~

There is a Search function and it actually works pretty well. If you guys want to pretend that there are no problems with the state of electronic voting and the direction it's taking then you guys are either blindly partisan or just ignorant.

Just a small reminder of how things are going so we're all on the same page.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Oh there are definitely problems. I couldn't really read through the flames above but www.slashdot.org has had continuing coverage of what will inevitably be called...Dieboldgate. I can see it on Newsweek now!

It's pathetic how bureaucracy can mess up the simplest ideas, especially if technology is concerned. Can't wait until they incorporate the newest Windows XP VotingCenter ME NT98SE 4.1.0001846a CE Embedded edition!
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

It's all controlled by the Illuminati and the Masons anyhow!!

Those are just for show, set up by the Unknown Superiors, whose existence is proved by the very fact nobody knows anything about them (or else what pitiful unknown superiors would they make).