brushed metal interfaces

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
there seems to be alot of contraversy over the whole brushed metal interface because it seems like apple is just throwing it around.

we all or at least those who dive enough into the apple land notice that apple has defined an application to have the brushed metal interface is something that interfaces with an external device. most of the applications upon first launch had that feature very apparent.

iMovie - dv camera's

iPhoto - digital camera's

iSync - palms and phones

Address book - exchange servers/phones/palms

however it seems that some other applications had that come later

iTunes - the iPod

iChat - the iSight and microphones and dv camcorders

quicktime i dont know what to say about since its always been brushed metal, the first brushed metal app i believe.

however the two apps that catch my attention are iChat and Safari. iChat was brushed metal , and for a year didnt interface with anything, then the iSight and iChat AV came out, so iChat's brushed metal interface makes some more sense now.

so it makes one wonder if eventually safari will have something that it can interface with, i dont know what but something tells me that perhaps Safari will soon interface with some sort of external device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    doubt it, the iSight isn't even a brushed metal really, I have one right next to me, it's far more like a g5, aluminum(it matches my powerbook nicely)

Brushed metal is just apple's current look

It started on the OS, then evolved its way out to the hardware, I'd imagine that will stay consistent, that is, we'll see hints of what new hardware will look like, based on new software, but Where there was a necessity for a good camera/microphone, to use with iChat AV, there is no necessity for any hardware gizmo to interface with safari.

remember, OS X was originally 'aqua' very little brushed metal at all.

If you get the application enhancers by unsanity(?) they can remove the brushed metal look from any application, but they replace it with a sort of aqua type look, makes me think that apple designed their iApps(and OS) UI with both aqua and brushed metal in mind, because from what I understand the application enhancers don't actually ADD anything, they just look into the code and remove things, and what's underneat the brushed metal, is aqua.

I could be wrong though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

If you get the application enhancers by unsanity(?) they can remove the brushed metal look from any application, but they replace it with a sort of aqua type look, makes me think that apple designed their iApps(and OS) UI with both aqua and brushed metal in mind, because from what I understand the application enhancers don't actually ADD anything, they just look into the code and remove things, and what's underneat the brushed metal, is aqua.

Actually, nothing is removed. The current version of cocoa can draw either window type. All these hacks do is typically change one attribute in the nib for each window.

Aqua is not any more native than brushed metal and brushed metal isn't drawn on top of aqua.

For me there is no 'contraversy'. It is easier to find a book in my library because they are not all the same size, shape, and color. It is also easier to find my car in the parking lot because it is not the same as the other cars. It is easier to hail a cab because they are distinct in appearance.

Despite these differences, I have no trouble operating non-standardized books nor finding the door handle or steering wheel on various colored cars.

It seems silly to look for rules governing the two looks even if apple has guidelines for this. All sports cars don't need to be red in order to find the gas peddle and garbage trucks will still haul trash if not painted white.

The distinctions and cues provided by alternative window dressings can easily be squandered or overused. To claim that all windows should be indistinguishable or that all windows should be unique in appearance is too simplistic.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Panther Brush killer

I just got this application, it removes the brush effect from all the panther menus and applications(iChat, safari, address book...etc.)

it didn't remove it from iTunes but iTunes brush killer will do that