Graphics Updates in 10.3.2

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi people,

I just updated my G4 Sawtooth to Panther from 10.2.8 and installed the .2 update, but when I installed additional RAM(from 256 MB), and booted up, my monitor stayed dark until I re booted with only 256 MB. I did a search for the graphics drivers supposedly installed by the update but did not find them.

Any one have this experience? Heard anything?

Thanks, Steve

Happy New Year 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    What kind of graphics card do you have on your sawtooth? If it is the same one I have (original one that came with computer) than you should have no problems. I don't see how installing additional ram would affect your display either. It's possible that your system wouldn't boot at all with the new ram in there due to a defect or incorrect installation of it. What kind of ram is it? If taking out the additional ram solved it than I'm guessing it's defective in some way. I doubt this has anything to do with your graphics card.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

What kind of graphics card do you have on your sawtooth? If it is the same one I have (original one that came with computer) than you should have no problems. I don't see how installing additional ram would affect your display either. It's possible that your system wouldn't boot at all with the new ram in there due to a defect or incorrect installation of it. What kind of ram is it? If taking out the additional ram solved it than I'm guessing it's defective in some way. I doubt this has anything to do with your graphics card.

DM,

This problem concerns the combination of OS 10.3, the Sawtooth Power Mac G4s, and some third party graphics cards, like the GeForce 4 MX I updated to about 6 months ago. Many people with this combination have this issue, which centers around 10.3 drivers, or the lack thereof. The 10.3.2 update was supposed to include them, but it looks like mine did not.

I don't know what the amt of RAM has to do with it either, but with more than 256MB my display is blank, w/256, it works fine.

Steve
  • Reply 3 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    or it could be a bad ram chip....
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Did you make sure the RAM is properly seated? I know its a stupid question but sometimes we forget these things.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

or it could be a bad ram chip....

Thats what I'm saying. I doubt the problem is with your graphics card. If your machine wont boot with the extra ram in there it is probably bad ram or it's incorrectly installed. If your system wont boot with the extra ram in there it's not a problem with your graphics card or OS X drivers for the aforementioned card, it's a ram issue. Ditch that ram, try a different chip and that should solve your problem.

[mini celebration]

WOO-HOO!!! #1000!!!

[/mini celebration]
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Thats what I'm saying. I doubt the problem is with your graphics card. If your machine wont boot with the extra ram in there it is probably bad ram or it's incorrectly installed. If your system wont boot with the extra ram in there it's not a problem with your graphics card or OS X drivers for the aforementioned card, it's a ram issue. Ditch that ram, try a different chip and that should solve your problem.

[mini celebration]

WOO-HOO!!! #1000!!!

[/mini celebration]

OK, guys, point taken. I'll try pulling RAM modules one by one when I get a chance.

However, the computer boots fine. Only the monitor has a problem(i. e.: it's totally black and it's power light changes from green to yellow and back(as if it wasn't getting a signal from the computer. I've also seen at least one other post refering to the display not working with over 256MB of RAM. Also, the system profiler lists all 4 DIMMS.

But that still doesn't explain where the graphics drivers that were supposed to be in the 10.3.2 update are. Any idea where they are installed? Are they even for the NVIDIA GEForce 4 MX?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Greetings Moderators,

Can you chime in on this? What's the latest on this issue?

This is the Best Mac BB on the net. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Steve