I'm a "G I M P " wimp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've heard that it's supposed to be pretty good software akin to photoshop in its capabilities.

Has anyone tried it ?

Where can I download it ?

Has it got plugin compatability with photoshop etc.

Thanx guys.

Aqua

PS : Mods feel free to move this post to OS-X if you think it fits better in thar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I think you can find it on versiontracker. It is called Mac Gimp. But, they charge for it, so I have not used it.

***Edit***

Here is a link for ya-

http://openosx.com/gimp2/
  • Reply 2 of 9
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    First dowload and install Fink, then download and install the GIMP package.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Gimp is a great program... but having cut my teeth on photoshop, when it comes to image editing, I find myself less comfortable with the Gimp... the interface and layout is, well, "different".
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I totally agree with \\/\\/ickes If you know how to use GIMP you can probably do anything you can do in photoshop but me having used photoshop since ps 3 looking at GIMP is like looking at Windows..
  • Reply 5 of 9
    If you don't have the money to buy PhotoShop then GIMP is nice to look at. But it is not PhotoShop. Color-spaces and CMYK support is coming, but not there, and it is no where near as refined as PhotoShop. I regularly take a look at the progress that the GIMP folks have made, and think that they might be there in 2 years or so, but there is still a lot of work to do.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    The Gimp has a development branch called 1.3 and when it is finished (soon) it will become The Gimp v2. If you've been using v1.2 then you should probably check it out.

I can't find a readable description of the changes since 1.2 but here's some screenshots: http://developer.gimp.org/screenshots.html

The Gimp is pretty cool, though if Photoshop was my bread and butter I probably wouldn't bother looking elsewhere just yet.

On the other hand, most of the discussion seems to revolve around The Gimp vs. Pirated Photoshop because *no-one* seems to mention the fact that Photoshop CS costs, let me see, £550 (£150 to upgrade) and The Gimp is free, now and forever.

More importantly than the cash for me, someone who only knocks up web images and does minor photo-editing as part of my job, is the fact that I can get a job anywhere and use my Gimp skills without having to run illegal software and/or bug someone to fork out big bucks for a program that I can barely scratch the surface of.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

The Gimp has a development branch called 1.3 and when it is finished (soon) it will become The Gimp v2. If you've been using v1.2 then you should probably check it out.

I can't find a readable description of the changes since 1.2 but here's some screenshots: http://developer.gimp.org/screenshots.html

The Gimp is pretty cool, though if Photoshop was my bread and butter I probably wouldn't bother looking elsewhere just yet.

On the other hand, most of the discussion seems to revolve around The Gimp vs. Pirated Photoshop because *no-one* seems to mention the fact that Photoshop CS costs, let me see, £550 (£150 to upgrade) and The Gimp is free, now and forever.

More importantly than the cash for me, someone who only knocks up web images and does minor photo-editing as part of my job, is the fact that I can get a job anywhere and use my Gimp skills without having to run illegal software and/or bug someone to fork out big bucks for a program that I can barely scratch the surface of.

Thanx guys for the links.

While I am at it, anyone used paintshop Pro by Jasc

. I hear it it coming out in an OS-X version or is that scuttle bug ?.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    glyphglyph Posts: 58member
    It took me a while to get used to the interface of the GIMP. v1.3 adds menus to the image window which makes it a little easier and familiar than right clicking. It's masking/web export tools are weak but it's still a nice program and it keeps getting better. I haven't tried it on Mac yet but it runs nicely on Win and Linux.

MacGIMP.Org
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Fun with fink has some instructions on how to install GIMP. There website was down when I looked at it, but it is www.funwithfink.com. I have put a copy of the PDF file on my FTP server at ftp://itsbits.homedns.org, but since I only use this server for personal use and it's on my home computer, it's usually is down between aroung 11 pm and 7 am.