Why iTunes sharing limited to 5 computers?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm on a University Network, so there's no shortage of computers on the network. However, from the iTunes help file:

"If your computer is connected to any other computers over a local network... you can share the music in your library and playlists with up to five of those computers (the other computers need to be in the same subnet as your computer"

Why would it be limited to 5? And what determines what users are the five that get displayed on my shared list?

-- Also is there a way to find out who has listened to what if I share my music?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Why 5? Because it's intended for home use. That's why version 4.01 knocked out internet sharing. It's part of their compromise with the RIAA. Besides, if an unlimited amount could access your library, your computer would get raped. Another thing: the help file makes it sound like only five computers can have access at any time, but it really is limited to five simultaneous connections.

Who gets on? The first five connected. Once a user disconnects, then a new user can connect. It's very straight forward.

Who is listening to what music? This one is a little trickier. There are some command line tricks you can do to get it to go, though, but it only shows current music, and can be kinda finicky. Depending on how confident you are with the command line, I can walk you through that one several ways.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    No need to go that far, just a curiosity.

If there are four people on my shared list, and my library is shared, can I assume I am the fifth person? Or is it 5 not including me, and there are only 4 other people logged on at the moment?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Hmm, is that new? I didn't know there was a limit on the number of computers. Or does that apply only to registered computers playing DRM music? (I thought that was limited to 3.)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Hmm, is that new? I didn't know there was a limit on the number of computers. Or does that apply only to registered computers playing DRM music? (I thought that was limited to 3.)

You're thinking of authorization. That's different.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

No need to go that far, just a curiosity.

If there are four people on my shared list, and my library is shared, can I assume I am the fifth person? Or is it 5 not including me, and there are only 4 other people logged on at the moment?

Nope, a total of five remote computers can be connected.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Okay, after more experimentation, I really don't think there is any limit, because there are like 10 other people on my list right now.

Okay I'm pretty sure what the 5 user limit means is that only 5 ppl can connect to YOUR library at a time. Which isn't nearly as big a deal as what I thought it meant to begin with.