Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Two words: Sub notebook.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Two words: Sub notebook.

ding ding ding!

watch the 12" powerbook stop being a metal-cased iBook and become its own, thinner, more compact beast entirely.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

FW800 (even if that is the only port, ship it with an adapter)

If they can't have both, I think having only the 800 port is a mistake. Pain in the butt for people who have FW400 drives, which is basically everyone.

I don't see them dropping the 400 port to do it. FW800 isn't whiz-bang fast enough to warrant that, IMO.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

If they can't have both, I think having only the 800 port is a mistake. Pain in the butt for people who have FW400 drives, which is basically everyone.

I don't see them dropping the 400 port to do it. FW800 isn't whiz-bang fast enough to warrant that, IMO.

sorry to intefere, but there is cables to connect FW800 to FW 400. I bought a 200 GB HD from the cie, and i have two connectors. One FW 800 to FW 800 connector, one FW 800 to FW 400.

I guess it's a little more difficult to find FW 400 4 pins to FW 800 (for digital cameras).

PS : edited. Did not see that the post before, dealed with an adaptator. FW 800 is only interesting for FW 800 HD.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

ding ding ding!

watch the 12" powerbook stop being a metal-cased iBook and become its own, thinner, more compact beast entirely.

Are you just teasing Escher (amongst others)?
  • Reply 26 of 57
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Next revision PB 12" is going to have 64MB of video RAM, make your bets.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

Next revision PB 12" is going to have 64MB of video RAM, make your bets.

You are probabily right with that one.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    i'll make a bet that the next PB will have a 60 gig drive...
  • Reply 29 of 57
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yay ATI graphics finally! Jonathan could be right. The iBook in fact with the G3 could have flew past all the G4s in mhz. I don't understand why Apple handicaps products. If it can be faster then make it faster! People will buy. I'm sure Apple can put a G5 in 12" PowerBooks. They are the best engineers in the world and they will do their thing. If the 12" PB disappears that will be a sad day. Just like when the Duo died.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shabbasuraj

with rergards to PB revisions, I beg for Apple to update their TFT technlogy throughout the entire notebook line...

Apple TFT's leave much to be desired in their 'PRO' line...

pathetic resolutions (15" and espcially the 17" PB), horrible nit brightness, and narrow viewing angles plague the entire PB line...

don't get me wrong I love my PB, but when it comes to the screen, I am very dissapointed...

my brother's SONY VAIO screen shames my PB screen when comparing the two side by side...

thanks for the rant...

typos fixed

Pathetic res?

12" screens - great res

15" PowerBook screen - great res

17" PB screen - good res

15" 1152 and 14" screens - so-so res.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    meh, the 15"er could use a small bump to a 15.4 screen with a better res...

the 12" could see a jump to 13" (w?) as well (with corresponding increase in res...)

but in terms of quality you can't get much better...
  • Reply 32 of 57
    i think it's time to convert the 12" PB to what i think it should've been in the first place. a 13" widescreen.

finally give widescreen it's Pro status..

a professional needs more space for palettes, etc...

a consumer only needs to view web-pages, write documents, etc.. all of which can be performed well on a regular 4 x 3 display.

i think a physical distinction like this is the most powerful way to fully separate the consumer iBook from the professional PB.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    I'd love to see a 13" widescreen PB. It could run at 1152 x 768.

Problem is, no one makes a 13" wide TFT. Most anything 13" or smaller is in 4:3. That's why you see such a preponderance of 12" notebooks. 12.1" has been a popular size for at least 7-8 years, so it's been easy for the LCD manufacturers to make them and keep costs down. A wide 13" would be more of a custom-built part. Sony and Fujitsu have 10.6" WXGA notebooks, but I can't see Apple making such a model.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Pathetic res?

12" screens - great res

15" PowerBook screen - great res

17" PB screen - good res

15" 1152 and 14" screens - so-so res.

this could be easily remedied with BTOs....

I am young and have good eyes, let me pay for a BTO...(thus letting me take full advantage of my 17"viewing area)

res may be ok for some at the 15" but the res of teh 17" PB is pathetic...(it should be at least 4 digits by 4 digits)...

I know most will agree that contrast ratio, nit brightnes, and viewing angle of Apple TFTs are 'hurtin'...

Apple will never upgrade their screen technology (read: it will take a complete form factor change), sad but true...

PS: yeah a 13" widescreen sounds intriguing...
  • Reply 35 of 57
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    i think if any apple laptop will be retired, it would be the 12" ibook.

and before you say"but the ibook is a best seller and i love my 12"icebook hear me out

The target demographic for the ibbok is "consumers" and other consumer laptops have 15" screens. Typically if size is most important to you will be willing to spend more money. the main reason the icebook sells well here is PRICE (please ignore Asia at this point) if the 12" ibook was $1499 and the 14" was $1099 the 14" would fly off the shelves.

But if apple wasn't an American company, all bets are off.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    the 12" iBook should not be retired as it has a solid home in education....
  • Reply 37 of 57
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Pathetic res?

I agree with you on the resolution issue (as many others, I don't like Squintronics? ), but shabbasuraj has a very valid point on brightness and viewing angle. I have recently seen side by side a Wallstreet (now what's that, 5 years old?), and a 12" Powerbook. Believe it or not, the Wallstreet's screen is superior in both brightness and viewing angle. The 12" screen is much more difficult to calibrate and when done, the result is generally not satisfactory as in the Wallstreet. So, apart resolution which I think is more or less OK, Apple needs to improve substantially the quality of screens used in the professional line, at least for the 12" powerbook. On the other hand, I am not sure if this is possible with the current technology, since the powerbooks are very thin, much more their screens, and consequently there is not much space for a strong backlight.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    I'd like to see the 7200rpm HD that Hitachi offers as a BTO option on the next 12"... at the mo I'm looking at purchasing and the best I can have is a 4200rpm HD! The Hitachi (which I've installed in one of my Pismos) is only 9.5mm high, so I don't see why it can't be used in the 12"??

Also, ATI graphics would be nice too...
  • Reply 39 of 57
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I agree with you on the resolution issue (as many others, I don't like Squintronics? ), but shabbasuraj has a very valid point on brightness and viewing angle... Apple needs to improve substantially the quality of screens used in the professional line, at least for the 12" powerbook.

PB summarized the screen-point well. 1024 resolution on a 12" screen is perfectly fine. But the quality of the 12-inch PowerBook's (and iBook's) screen pales in comparison to the 15-inch and 17-inch models. I bought an external 17" LCD a couple of months ago, and going back to the built-in screen of my iBook/500 (which is exactly the same as on all subsequent iBooks and the 12-inch PB) is depressing.

Some will argue that brighter screens consumer more battery power and would ruin the 12-incher's outstanding battery life. To that I answer that you can always turn down brightness (manually or automatically via Energy Saver) to save power. As for viewing angle, I don't know whether it is simply a function of screen quality or also requires more power.

Escher
  • Reply 40 of 57
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Baron von Smiley

Bump the specs just a little, bigger hard drive and then add a Type I card slot and it's perfect.

I seriously doubt that the 12-inch will get a PC Card slot. With the wide array of built-in ports of today's Mac portables, there's virtually no need for PC Card expansion. Seriously, Baron von Smiley, for what would you actually use a PC Card slot?

Somebody else who wanted a PC Card slot mentioned that Apple should simply add it next to the AirPort slot. The AirPort Extreme card is no longer an internal PC Card, it's a different format now. On top of that, it is located in the bottom center of the PB, which obviously would no be practical for a PC Card slot.

Again, I maintain that there is no room (physically and ideologically) for a PC Card slot in the smallest, 12-inch PowerBook.

Escher