In-Ear Headphones vs Earbuds ???

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shalmaneser

True. Slightly off topic, but just FYI: the philosophy behind "audiophile" formats such as DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD is actually to make use of those inaudible frequencies because they apparently induce harmonics in the sound and reflect off surfaces in such a way as to irritate certain listeners by their absence in regular CD-quality audio. Big time speaker manufacturers such as Bowers & Wilkins like to advertise their tweeter units as "super tweeters" capable of extending up past 30KHz.

That reasoning is either garbled from the original source, or the original source was meaningless marketing blather with little connection to reality.

If a frequency is too high to hear, it's too high to hear. Period. The harmonic components of a high frequency sound are even higher frequencies, not lower ones, and therefore further out of hearing range.

The only real value in extending frequency response beyond 20 KHz (besides marketing hype) is for things like avoiding the need for steep roll-off filters in digital recording and playback.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Didn't say I subscribe to any of it, but that's what "audiophiles" tell me, and it seem to piss them off mighty... can't tell the difference myself.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

We're talking about earbuds, and these will never be as good as full sized headphones. Just like regular speakers, you can't get decent low end without big cones driven by heavy magnets.

I'll take my E5 over your headphones any day!
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I'll take my E5 over your headphones any day!

Hey, if i would have $500 to spend on headphones i would get them too..

• Reply 25 of 41
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Hey, if i would have $500 to spend on headphones i would get them too..

Haha oh, make sure you look, I didn't mean I have them. They would be amazing to own but until I have a spare $500...and I don't think I'll find them much cheaper anywhere else
  • Reply 26 of 41
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I bought the SONY E-888 SP couple years ago for my MiniDisc player.

It works well.. however.. it is being left alone in the closet.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Sounds like the in-ear are worth it. But damn, I really wish I could afford those $499 E5c headphones.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    The In-Ear iPod buds sound good, but I can just imagine pulling them out, attached to a large gooey orange lump of wax.

Not good for a hayfever sufferer. m.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    I got a pair of Sony EX-71s for my ipod, and I am very impressed. Decided against the apple ones as I don't want the "white headphones = I have hundreds of pounds of electrical equipment on my person, please mug me" look. I have been very impressed with the sound quality and they block out a decent amount of background noise. Great for the tube.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

"The iPod In-Ear Headphones have great sound quality and bass response, and come with three different sized caps to ensure the headphones fit comfortably and securely in your ear."

I want the new in-ear headphone for my 15-mons old iPod.

SONY in-ear headphones

I've got those. They are awesome! I've been using them for about 3yrs now. My cat chewed the first pair, so I got a second pair about 1yr ago.

I play bass in a band, so I really like to hear the bass in any music I listen to. These do the job VERY well. The highs are just right, nice cymbals.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    The only thing that sucks about the Sony ones is the case... worthless!
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Why is it worthless? I stick the buds in the case then stuff the thing in my pocket. No need to wrap cords anywhere.

Half the time I leave the buds hanging around my neck and with the case on they won't fall off. I like the case. It did take some getting used to at first. Maybe you just haven't tried using the thing.

I guess I'm just used to the wind-up cases that keep your headphones/cord all nice and tidy... This case only protects the actual headphone, the cord has to hang loose... I don't like that. To me, the point of a case is to keep it all nice and tidy.

Just my $0.02... to each his own... Some people will like it, I personally don't.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    I'm surprised there has been no link posted here (unless it snuck past me) to MacInTouch's series of viewer comments on earphones.

http://www.macintouch.com/earphones.html
  • Reply 34 of 41
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The Sony's DO come with that little silver box case too. I use that and have never tried the little pill looking thing.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    blixablixa Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

The Sony's DO come with that little silver box case too. I use that and have never tried the little pill looking thing.

Really? Which Sonys? I got a pair of white ones from Japan, and they just have the little pill-shaped thing and a little cloth bag. Bummer!
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Ok, i have just received the new in ear headphones and am listening to them right now. I have in the past have had many in-ear, normal, ear buds, etc but most of them have just been alright. The new in-ear headphones are far superior to the things the ipod come with in every way, bass, clearness, comfort, outside noise reduction. One of the main i things i love about these headphones is that they are extremely comfortable, and that is probaly an understatement. They come with 3 different sizes of the padding so if you think they might be to small, just put on the larger rubber padding. The clearness is amazing compared to the origanl ear-buds, you can hear things that you never even realized were in the song until you put these on, and each instrument you can recognize. My only complaint is that the bass is a little flat, but far superior to other headphones of this size. The case they come with is exelent, its well built, and the headphones feel the same way and just look good, unlike the ugly little things like this. Also due to the padding the noise reduction is far superior to the originals. My final reivew of this product is that just like everything else apple does, they did it just plain and simply right again. If you can get the $40.00 for these headphones you should get them, you will love them. 10 out 10 stars!
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by SomeGuy

Ok, i have just received the new in ear headphones and am listening to them right now. I have in the past have had many in-ear, normal, ear buds, etc but most of them have just been alright. The new in-ear headphones are far superior to the things the ipod come with in every way, bass, clearness, comfort, outside noise reduction. One of the main i things i love about these headphones is that they are extremely comfortable, and that is probaly an understatement. They come with 3 different sizes of the padding so if you think they might be to small, just put on the larger rubber padding. The clearness is amazing compared to the origanl ear-buds, you can hear things that you never even realized were in the song until you put these on, and each instrument you can recognize. My only complaint is that the bass is a little flat, but far superior to other headphones of this size. The case they come with is exelent, its well built, and the headphones feel the same way and just look good, unlike the ugly little things like this. Also due to the padding the noise reduction is far superior to the originals. My final reivew of this product is that just like everything else apple does, they did it just plain and simply right again. If you can get the $40.00 for these headphones you should get them, you will love them. 10 out 10 stars!

I just got mine and I concur.

My only complaint is the case. I don't find it very ergonomic. It doesn't open very smoothly and the the see-through plastic lid is gonna get scratch marks. Also, the lid is a separate piece from the base, which makes it very easy to drop while you're trying to wind the headphones in. But the headphones themselves are great!
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Ya, which ones? The ones I got only came with the pill...