People who don't like iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm sure there's been some. What have people who've rejected iTunes said about it? Or what don't you like about it, and would like to see improved?

I've heard a few comments. My dad said that he prefers Windows Media Player, as it remembers the song that was played last and stays on that one. Also, one of my flatmates didn't like the interface as it doesn't match the rest of Windows.

I also have one problem with it: why can't the rest of my computer be as nice as it? I'm having to go out and buy a Mac to replace the PC so that it is... OK, so this isn't really a problem with iTunes, more Windows. Ah well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

I've heard a few comments. My dad said that he prefers Windows Media Player, as it remembers the song that was played last and stays on that one.

I'm sorry.

Quote:

Also, one of my flatmates didn't like the interface as it doesn't match the rest of Windows.

So functionality doesn't matter to him? Interesting.

Quote:

I also have one problem with it: why can't the rest of my computer be as nice as it? I'm having to go out and buy a Mac to replace the PC so that it is... OK, so this isn't really a problem with iTunes, more Windows. Ah well.

So Apple's trojan horse stragety is working... m.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think some people have a problem with the change in mind-set that they have to make when switching to iTunes. Instead of opening up the mp3 files into a program (like with WinAmp), all the music is controlled/played from inside the program.

Another set-back at first (and a problem that I had) is getting ALL the songs in your playlist tagged right so iTunes can sort them correctly and show the right info. for Artist, Genre, etc. I personally had an mp3 collection where most of my songs had no tags or just Artist and Song title, or any combination of the tags. It was a long effort to get them all where they needed to be.

I love iTunes now, but I even had a bit of an adaptation curve to deal with for the first few weeks of using iTunes (a couple years ago).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Most people(I've encountered) just can;t be bothered to leave what they are used to.

so far it's 4 for 4 in people I've turned on towards iTunes and now they use it exclusively.

Usually conversations go something like this "hey man the file you sent me won't play"

"that's because it's .aac, get iTunes"

"why does mac have to use a closed system like this?"

"well actually...(slightly long winded explanation of .aac vs .wmp covering quality, standards and restrictions)"

"oh"

"yeah, so get iTunes and you can play it"

This is the the point when they either get iTunes and live happily with a superior music player or they shrug it off "eh **** that, it's too much work to change, can't you juse give me the file in .mp3?"

\

But, yeah I think the biggest part is convenience, and I think that this HP deal is going to do a lot for apple in that field, all HP computers will come preinstalled with Quicktime and iTunes, that's really big, that's the first step in really wide spread adoption of the software.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I think some people have a problem with the change in mind-set that they have to make when switching to iTunes. Instead of opening up the mp3 files into a program (like with WinAmp), all the music is controlled/played from inside the program.

That's its strength though, even if it's different from everything else.

Quote:

Another set-back at first (and a problem that I had) is getting ALL the songs in your playlist tagged right so iTunes can sort them correctly and show the right info. for Artist, Genre, etc. I personally had an mp3 collection where most of my songs had no tags or just Artist and Song title, or any combination of the tags.

That depends on where the MP3s came from. Also, you can set tags on multiple items at once. Just select a bunch of them, Get Info on them and the common tags will show up as filled out in the dialog. Any changes will get a checkmark next to them.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, i was going to say that iTunes works much better when you're just ripping all the CD's you own, rather than MP3's that you've acquired.

CDDB does all the work for you then.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    one of my friends caught one of the bad, early versions of itunes windows, so he deleted it and never looked back. over break, however, he spent a lot of time at my house, and consequently used itunes on my mac. he got back to school and immediately downloaded itunes
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Before I got my iMac, I tried using WMP 9 on my PC to burn a few of my CD's. OMG!!! What a pain! It would do all sorts of wierd stuff, the most annoying of which was putting half the tracks from a CD on one album, the creating a different album for the other tracks. WTF???

Using iTunes on the Mac was very intuitive, so when it came out for Windows, I had no hesitation installing it on my wife's PC. She's now using it with her iPod, no problems at all .

Dave.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

That depends on where the MP3s came from.

Yeah, well my naughty little illegal file-sharing ways have pretty much passed. Now that I'm a media professional, I completely understand and respect copyrights and what they stand for.

But early on ( c. 1997-98 ) I didn't give a rat's back-end.

Edit: Putting the "8" and ")" next to each other above actually spawned the orange sunglassed smilie. That's the reason for the unnecessary spacing between parentheses above.