can't repair permissions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
oh well, what a dude i am

i have updated to X 10.3.2, everything went smooth so far.

I always had that "please repair permissions after update is done" in mind, BUT i was so keen on trying this and that immediately, there for i opened this app and that one, (always had that "please repair permissions after update is done" in mind), finally i went through library and stoped over the directories "packages" and "receipts". I came to the conclusion i won't need these files any more, because all packages are installed already and all receipts are needless, just waste of storage, because, well, they are just receipts.

(always had that "please repair permissions after update is done" in mind) ...

Then, finally, i decided to do the repair permission job. BUT diskutil was unable to repair permissions. In a split second after hitting the "repair botton" an alert occured, telling me: "Permissions could not be repaired, because of unvalid packages. (-9997)"

What does that mean??? I guess it means what it says, but in the long run ... er ...

btw: are there any macos X out of the box tools to recover accidently trashed files?

best

help appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah... thats why those receipts are there... to persevere permissions...

try doing it from the 10.3 install disk... that should still work... but maybe not...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

yeah... thats why those receipts are there... to persevere permissions...

try doing it from the 10.3 install disk... that should still work... but maybe not...

try doing "repairing permissions" you do certainly mean, don't you?

btw: minute later i posted these lines i found another thread, in which paul came to the same conclusion as you, anyway.

(oh my god, YOU ARE PAUL, - i didn't look at the name, who answered my question, excuse me, - i feel a little bit ... blured ... these days, oh well ...)

thank you
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Did you try to do it through command line? Open up applications/utilities/terminal and type in

Code:

diskutil repairpermissions /

That might do it if you don't want to do it from the install disk.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Did you try to do it through command line? Open up applications/utilities/terminal and type in

Code:

diskutil repairpermissions /

That might do it if you don't want to do it from the install disk.

not exactly, ... er ... sh**!!!

below is the answer the console gave me almost instantly after pushing (hard) "return".

--quote from console--

Last login: Wed Jan 14 00:43:19 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

Uwe-Knotts-Computer:~ Boss$ diskutil repairpermissions /

Error detected (-9997) while verifying/repairing permissions disk disk0s9 Die Erste

Uwe-Knotts-Computer:~ Boss$

did i fu***** up everything??? I'm a dude (first time duder), don't tout that on me. There must be a solution, i can not live with error -9997!!! don't let -9997 be a curse.

btw, the entire system seems to be in a good shape, everything is fast and snappy, there are no obvious flaws.

btw second, is "diskutil repairpermissions /" the same as it is in diskutility?

help appreciated - better sooner than later
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Yes. The command line "diskutil repairpermissions /" does the same thing as if you were to actually open up disk utility and click on repair permissions. Command line can help in a situation like this because it may be able to give you more info than "Error -9997" I would try Paul's solution next. Insert your Panther install disk (disk 1) and restart while holding down the C key on your keyboard. When it boots up go into disk utility and repair permissions like you normally would. Should do the trick. Don't get too flustered, if your system is in good shape than you don't have anything to worry about.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Yes. ... Should do the trick. ...

unfortunately it did not. what else?

would it be worth trying to copy the entire receipts from another computer (identical os installation granted) into my own library? Or are these receipts bound to cpu host-names or other files, which only exists on that particular machine i would move from?

best

Oh well, the solution is/was: although the entire system seemed to be pretty much working, snappy and such, i just couldn't stand with that particular error (-9997). So i just reinstalled the very basic system components again, (i just checked "basic system" in the installer, left everything else untouched/unchecked, and there we go.

lost of data? --> zero

many reinstallations? --> zero

dude champion winner --> yes