same sex marriages....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
if marriage is such a great thing (and i think it is, myself--and my wife of course-- being married almost 19 years now), then why don't people who advocate for marriage want everyone to be able to share in the joys of marriage? seems strange..."we have this really great product, but we don't want you to buy it" seems almost un-america, if not at least un-capitalistic in thinking...

anyway...i see two ways around this

one, start up a new ceremony called either Union or Joining...then what you do it you actively lobby not only gays and lesbians to take part in this procedure, you also try and get as many heterosexuals to forgo marriage for Union ceremonies also...i know that if there was a congressional law outlawing marriage to my homosexual friends and there was a different ceremony to have, my wife and i would both have had a Union or Joining ceremony instead....maybe we still will for our 20th anniversery

two (and this one is much more devious and would take some effort to arrange... but i'm sure the gay community is able to pull this off)...find gay couples and lesbian couples for every community that wish to get married...then have joint ceremonies where one guy marries one girl and the other guy marries the other girl...find people of similar jobs and benefits...then the guy lives with the guy and the girl lives with the girl, but everyone would still have health benefits and social security and all the benefits that marriage currently gives to people that the far right wants to deny to homosexual couples...it would be tricky and would cause some trouble if couples divorce...but it would be fun to try and pull it off, if even with just a few couples in each state....

start up one of those match maker computer programs, but instead of looking for a similar mate it would look for a similar couple of the opposite sex...i'm sure this could be easy with big companies especially...note up by the water cooler at IBM..."committed gay couple with salary of 100,000 plus and good benefits looking for commited lebian couple with same portfolio, with hopes of possible Merger...Please call 555-6969 if interested"

g

couldn't let a good 69 joke get away from me

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Love is never wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Love is never wrong.

You obviously don't know Sarah Horwitz.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    thegelding...mmmm methinks cuz your wifey is kinda hot

I agree. I don't care if two people of the same sex want to get married. It doesn't hurt me in any way.

Matter of fact preventing SSM(Same Sex Marriage) could be argued as a violation of Church and State as preference for Heterosexual Marriages is rooted in Biblical ideology and thus imposed on SSM proponents.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    SSM is ok in my books... however that's not what my school tought me...
  • Reply 5 of 81
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Love is never wrong.

You've obviously never heard of NAMBLA.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 81
    but is your problem with that the age difference, and isnt the intrinsic moral discussion of that due to the fact that the age difference implies that its not real love?
  • Reply 7 of 81
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    The fact that the US does not allow same sex marriages/unions/joinings shows how far behind we are as a society. It is utterly ridiculous that we prohibit same sex marriages, and prevent them from having all the rights that married couples are afforded.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

SSM is ok in my books... however that's not what my school tought me...

I'm going off topic here but I have to add something. It is interesting to look in old school books and see just how racist and ignorant they were in the past. I have a swedish math schoolbook from the beginning of the last century and in the foreword it can be read that "the australian negros are a primitive race that never even knew how to add together two and two to get four"

Really scary stuff...
  • Reply 9 of 81
    The government shouldn't even be in the business of marriage. Then we wouldn't have this little problem.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    Quote:

Love is never wrong.

Huzzah!

Took the words right out of my mouth. If two people love each other to the point of wanting to marry, then it doesn't make sense to not allow them to.

Love is sweet - the more the better!
  • Reply 11 of 81
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

but is your problem with that the age difference, and isnt the intrinsic moral discussion of that due to the fact that the age difference implies that its not real love?

My problem actually isn't with the age difference. I likely wouldn't even mind the age differce above say 14 as long as it was universally applied. Right now the only time it is applied to women is if they happen to be school teachers.

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 81
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

two (and this one is much more devious and would take some effort to arrange... but i'm sure the gay community is able to pull this off)...find gay couples and lesbian couples for every community that wish to get married...then have joint ceremonies where one guy marries one girl and the other guy marries the other girl...find people of similar jobs and benefits...then the guy lives with the guy and the girl lives with the girl, but everyone would still have health benefits and social security and all the benefits that marriage currently gives to people that the far right wants to deny to homosexual couples...it would be tricky and would cause some trouble if couples divorce...but it would be fun to try and pull it off, if even with just a few couples in each state....

But this totally screws up hospital visitation rights and heirs.

As for unions vs. marriages, if a marriage is 'religion only' then our government sure as hell should stop recognizing it in any official capacity. Is there any reason our government should recognize a religious affiliation? Or give preferential treatment to one religion over another?
  • Reply 13 of 81
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Separate is inherently unequal.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    Quote:

Love is never wrong.

Agree completly. All we need is love, make love not war...and so on. Spread the love and the world will be a better place.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    I think resistance to it is a very generational thing. Well polls seem to show that anyway. I think eventually it will become a common thing.

There always has to be people willing to push the boundaries, point out injustice.. to speak up. Even when society may not be quite ready. It brings debate and change.

A "defense of marriage act" won't happen. It's more likely states will slowly adopt SSU laws... like vermont, hawaii and new jersey.

We should have a pool and bet which state will be last.

I say Utah.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    The defense of marriage act already happened and Clinton signed it into law in 1996. It is, of course, un-Constitutional, but since when does that stop anything?

The thing with gay marriage is that those against it have no real rational argument against it. But fear is a very powerful motivator, so you see strong opposition that doesn't even know its own reasoning.

It will take time, and in the interim you can belittle those who choose to be angry in their ignorance and laugh your ass off when, in the future, they are rightly exposed by history as imbeciles. Like Wallace standing in the doorway of the schools to stop the black kids, those voting for a Constitutional ban on gay marriage will either throw themselves into a state of denial or feel shame at their intolerance.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Agree completly. All we need is love, make love not war...and so on. Spread the love and the world will be a better place.

Uhm, ok. I agree that SSM is a good thing and shouldnt be illegal or considered wrong.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I am for gay unions, but i am not for gay marriages.

For me marriage is not specialy a religious thing, but is the first stage of the family cell. So by my own definition it's imply the union between a man and a woman. Otherwise i call it union, it may be as holy as mariage, refer to an mutual engagement for fidelity ; something of value, but who is a different of building a family.

Now you can throw your tomatoes : but please not the icy ones
  • Reply 19 of 81
    Can infertile men & women be married?
  • Reply 20 of 81
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Can infertile men & women be married?

Yes.

i think that a family is build upon the union of two differents genders : male and female who are equal but differents and more important who are complementary.

And they are complementary in many ways : not only sexually complementary, but also socially complementary. In work, there is a positive influence when you mix the two genders (well it's my advice).

I am perfectly aware, that gay people do not choose to be gay, and they have the rights to make unions, and this unions should not be considered as a lesser version of the marriage, but more like an alternate version. But for me mariage imply this biological complementary.