HP to produce pocket device to run OSX?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I could believe a Pocket Device running X-Lite and distributed by HP. HP take the 'X-Lite' into PC land while Apple takes care of the Mac crowd.

After the iPod deal, anything is possible.

I'm getting nervous...

Lemon Bon Bon

IBM travaille très fort sur le PPC 980. Etrangement, ou bien pour ne pas attirer l'attention, les prototypes ne s'appellent pas 980.

Ainsi, après le PPC 975a dual-core, c'est au 976 d'être proposé Ã* Apple pour faire des tests.

IBM is working very energetically on the PPC980. Strangely, or in order not to attract attention, the prototypes are not named 980.

Thus, after the PPC 975a dual-core, the 976 has been supplied to Apple for testing.

I think this is the closest to the letter and spirit of the french text.

Best regards,

Pierre
  • Reply 22 of 64
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I used to have an english teacher who loved the word garbagé but hated umbrella and insists it was one of the ugliest words.

Either your English teacher is a freak, or s/he, I'm guessing she, is overcompensating for her lack of style by hyper-applying a concept of which she is only subconsciously aware. English is primarily a blend of Germanic and French, or second hand Latin. Owing primarily to history, Latinate words and constructions have tended to denote class, education, and sophistication, whilst Germanic constructions and words have been regarded as ordinary or vulgar.

Whatever you may think of that, her stressed accent on garabage is nothing more than an attempt to further "Latinize" an already French word, resulting in a pronunciation which is more a caricature of French (within the English idiom) than it is a representation of French "sophistication". Umbrella, coming to us from Italian, is as "Latin" as any French word, and even (especially) in this faulty pardigm which eschews the beauty of Germanic words and constructions, it as worthy a sound as garbage, and certainly moreso than that kitschy monstrosity, garbage.

Now go put her in her place and report back. But don't say you learned it from me, I put too many "quotes" around words to be considered an authority on language.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nevoz

HP could put Pocketmac or others sync software in ipaqs...

with the logo of apple in it and a specific theme..

But no more..

Nervoz bit confused by your post did you mean on the HP desktop or

the actual ipaq. On the Hp desktop, maybe... its something they could package if apple made isync available on the PC ( NOT GOING TO HAPPEN THOUGH) like it has with i tunes, but active sync does a good job there. Built in Mac syncing on WINDOWS pocket PC 2003 ? I think not.(Although I have been told never to say never.) MS wouldn't allow access to the mac os for pocket PC as a inbuilt function, considering they want "fat client" os as they tried to consolidate lock in to their OS As it stands Markspace Missing Sync DAMNNN FINE!!! and if your like me a use your iPac to move contacts from adress book to your ipaq to ipod to t68i this is the stuff.

The thing about HP is that you have to respect them for trying to get the whole product design thing down. I mean my Ipaq cool and small. If anyone was to partner with apple its HP the companies are similar in that they were both founded on the idea of innovation.

But what I imagine is that you will see HP roll out a phone/pda - think XDA o2 II. Apple Buys out someone like markspace and sailing clicker and intergrates it all into the iSync app.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    This is what Apple should do:

Release QuickTime and an AAC Player (not nesessairily iTunes) for Linux, Pocket PC and Palm. Symbian too..

If they are to achieve World Dominance with iTMS they must support these plattforms.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Seems reasonable in a way. Lots of PC vendors are very POd by Microsofts OEM terms. IBM has a reference design for a PPC based PDA, HP are the top PocketPC manufacturer.

So, HP could make more money building handheld 'iMaqs' simply because there is no MS tax on the design and OS.

Net result: We get an 'Apple' PDA, HP gets a non-MS laden product, Apple gets license fees, IBM gets more PPC partners.

I see no downside.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

So, HP could make more money building handheld 'iMaqs' simply because there is no MS tax on the design and OS.

And what about an Apple tax!?
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

And what about an Apple tax!?

The tend to be fairer.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

The tend to be fairer.

QuickTime Pro required to save movies (where it was a free feature in earlier versions), no upgrade path for MacOS X Server (have to buy at full retail for each release)...

Really like to see some details on Apple licensing costs, you got some links?
  • Reply 29 of 64
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    It's odd how long the guessing/arguing about a portable HP manu'd, OS X based device has lasted, when about four or five people have translated the rumor, revealing it to be about something completely different.....
  • Reply 30 of 64
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    pleeeeaaassseee oh Dear lord in heaven above;

let this rumor be true as pc people are scared to death of apple, this would be huge, a newton done RIGHT would be cool (and if santa is there tell him christmas is 11 months away and i would be a kid in a candystore...)and let this spur mac into a RESONABLy priced and reasonabley powerful mac with NO attached monitor and a vga conector,

and God, if you do all this let me finde a winning lottory ticket in a parking lot...
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

It's odd how long the guessing/arguing about a portable HP manu'd, OS X based device has lasted, when about four or five people have translated the rumor, revealing it to be about something completely different.....

Uh, no. They are talking about 2 different rumors from the same page. if you look at this Babelfish translation you will see it. After looking at some of the rumors, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in anything on there.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Apple OS X on a non-apple product?

I will eat this keyboard if it ever happens.

As much as I hate the idea, it might be the right "gateway drug" that Apple is looking for to get some switchers.

There is a razor thin line between "teaser" and "bastardization"

I wish there was reliable data on how many PC users switched after getting an iPod.

</overtaken-by-nausea>\
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

QuickTime Pro required to save movies (where it was a free feature in earlier versions), no upgrade path for MacOS X Server (have to buy at full retail for each release)...

Really like to see some details on Apple licensing costs, you got some links?

None whatsoever
  • Reply 34 of 64
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    apple os on a non apple product-----ipod is apple will have the apple logo on a HP product. Apple won't independently do another "newton" but HP starts then apple reverses what HP did, Apple sells the co-developed pocket device for HP. Apple gets in Steve doen't have to lie about "doing a PDA or phone" the apple gets more exposure from the "newly announced #1PC seller" and the apple rolls on. Great endrun around MS. MS can't hurt HP or resurgence of antitrust misuse. Hey I think that this co-branded, co-developed, partnership relationship with HP with the iPod is ONLY THE BEGINNING. It's a great synergy, and what i like best 1. spreads/exposes apple to more mainstream people 2. counters MS. HP wants to be associated with "innovation" not stagnation, it knows the new "MS os" is a long way off, more and more pressure to go non MS (linux in the pacific basin). There are other innovations that HP might like, e.g. license "expose" to HP.

Much to be gained and this is only the beginning. If you think HP and Steve spoke ONLY of the iPod, you are mistaken. In this market you have to grab and claw for any advantage you can. HP wants to fight Dell, this helps.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Geddoe

Uh, no. They are talking about 2 different rumors from the same page. if you look at this Babelfish translation you will see it. After looking at some of the rumors, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in anything on there.

Oh. Fair enough. Odd that no one translated the second part.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by geddoe

Quote:

....Odd that no one translated....

So I will:

"It seems that the iPod based partnership between HP and Apple won't stop there. A light version of OS X will be nearly ready ["quasi-ready" is their exact term] and will be able to serve as an OS for a pocket PC [sic] manufactured by HP."

I mean, it's not much to go on is it? Will be ready? OK, when? Could be used as an OS for a Pocket PC? Well, sure - if it was written of course it could.

I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    HP wants to sell more of all computer things including more pda's well gee with a mac os it would expand it's market to us mac faithfull. this is great HP wants to grow into different unique areas, how about including expanding into the religion known as "mac faithful".

This also lets' people know that apple WILL partner with others, wow, don't want to be left out......

well if the clones didn't work maybe this is the way it can with subsets of the os in specialized products and not compete directly with anything apple produces. great end run around MS
  • Reply 38 of 64
    nevoznevoz Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

Nervoz bit confused by your post did you mean on the HP desktop or

the actual ipaq.

sorry.

i mean the ipaq.

i think about an ipaq that can sync without problem with the mac.

there is an application (www.pocketmac.net) called "pocketmac". hp could put something like this in its ipaq.

so.. hp desktop users will buy ipod and people who uses mac will buy ipaq.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shawk

Via Bite of the Apple

http://croquer.free.fr/

"It would seem that the partnership between HP and APPLE for the iPod does not stop there. A light version of OS X is nearly ready and could be used as the OS of a pocket PC manufactured by HP."

i love reading in languages i don't understand 8)
  • Reply 40 of 64
    I dont see how a French rumour site is going to be particularly reliable given that Apple are a US company.