Problem with the Time Stamps

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Ok, i've suspected for some time that the timestamps were a little off. threads would be marked read when they weren't, and i hadn't been here in a while. so, i just returned from a 1 'n half hour meeting (left my desk promptly at 11, returned just minutes ago, at like 12:45), and had ai open before i left. i go to the front page, and it says time last accessed was 12:25. not possible, i wasn't in here (and this box was locked). now, it either means that the times here at ai are askew, or that someone else is accessing my account here (or some third option which i haven't thought of). i haven't noticed any postings under my name that i hadn't done (well, a few that drunk or inibriated thuh Freak did, but those are easy enough to cull out even if i don't remember doing them). any one else know what i'm tawking about? can some friendly admin pm me the ip that accessed this page between 11 & 12:30 this morn? does ie (i'm using ie at work) tickle the site and keep the http conn open for that long?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Aha! I "last visited" at 12:25 PM today, too... even though the last time I actually went here was last night around 1AM.

I thought about the possibility that someone might be accessing my account, so I changed my password, but that did nothing to solve it.

I've checked my history, too. My roommate wasn't even around at that time, either. And I use Safari, so it ain't just IE.

But, since we both "Last visited" at the same time, I assume it's a chronic vB/server problem. \
  • Reply 2 of 14
    that's even more peculiar than i thought.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

It's certainly not registering any posts made in the word association thread but that may be the 'experiment'.

*Some* threads in AppleInsider don't allow your post count to be boosted.

Understand???
  • Reply 4 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm not quite sure what you just said there, but it seems like you understand.

Right?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    It looks like our time stamps are being reset every time the News Comments forum gets a new thread. The "Apple set to deploy new Logic Platinum software" thread appeared at 12:25 EST (9:25 where I am).
  • Reply 6 of 14
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BlueRabbit

It looks like our time stamps are being reset every time the News Comments forum gets a new thread. The "Apple set to deploy new Logic Platinum software" thread appeared at 12:25 EST (9:25 where I am).

i dont think that is it. it says my last time is 10:07 (est?) last night. that could be accurate, but i dont think it is.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    WTF? My time stamp reset again, to 2:35 PM (when I was in school). That is when the "Momentum product brief references PowerPC 970FX" thread was posted in News Comments.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Yeah, same here... although it was Eastern time. I was at Dinner.

Quote:

You last visited: 01-20-2004 05:35 PM.

Quote:

Topic: Momentum product brief references Power PC 970FX

_ posted 01-20-2004 05:35 PM

Well, now that we know where the problem is, is it fixable?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Ah, come on. It happened again. Can't something be done? It's mighty annoying.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Well, at least me know that using AI timestamps as evidence in court just won't hold up.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Well, at least me know that using AI timestamps as evidence in court just won't hold up.

Is there really nothing we can do to fix this, LoCash? E.g. I don't visit AI for three days. When I come back, threads from the first two and a half days are marked read, and only posts from the last few hours are marked unread.

I understand that I can just remeber when I last visited, and scroll down further. But the "go to last unread post" links (the arrow to the left of a topic) isn't really useful anymore. After follow it, I have to scroll up to read unread posts.

Escher
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I've looked and there's nothing I can do about this. It just looks like a bug in vBulletin.

It's not the end of the world.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    OK. That's fine.

I just wanted to hear that someone looked into it.

Thanks Brad