ye obligatory "if the presidential election were now" poll

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Edwards as a lawyer never did any pro bono work. Not one case. For someone who says he is such a champion of the poor and civil rights, I find it shocking he never did any pro bono work. Most lawyers at some point do some pro bono work, but not John Edwards.

He also co-authored the Patriot Act. CO-AUTHORED!

He's just as bad as the others.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Wow. Really? If that's true (not that I doubt you), you wonder why any core Democrat would support him.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If its true (and not just spin-"true") Edwards just lost his 100.000 preinstalled votes.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    i rooted for bush to win in the year of double-0s but it didn't realize he would be so bad... now i dont even think he means well any more... my vote goes to sharpton we need a man of color in the white house

in all seriousness i would go with whoever is the democratic cannidate
  • Reply 25 of 44
    I have no idea who I would vote for today. I am not going to vote for Bush, but the Dem candidates are lost causes. I have always had a clear favorite by this time in the past. Not sure what I will do this year.....
  • Reply 26 of 44
    i think this year would be a great oppertunity for a 3rd party cannidate to step up and get some votes....although i dont think they would win
  • Reply 27 of 44
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

i think this year would be a great oppertunity for a 3rd party cannidate to step up and get some votes

In other words, you want bush to win?
  • Reply 28 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Pow. Right back to either-or two-party politics.

Bleah.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Pow. Right back to either-or two-party politics.

Maybe that's because we have a two party system.

This year, a vote for a third party would be a vote for bush.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

In other words, you want bush to win?

No i just think that there will be alot of 3rd party votes... the democrats dont impress me this year and bush is awful... i would like to see a 3rd party win
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

i would like to see a 3rd party win

And I'd like a jet pack.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

And I'd like a jet pack.

id rather a democrat than bush....oh i'm wasting my breath... forget it
  • Reply 33 of 44
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Edwards as a lawyer never did any pro bono work. Not one case. For someone who says he is such a champion of the poor and civil rights, I find it shocking he never did any pro bono work. Most lawyers at some point do some pro bono work, but not John Edwards.

He's just as bad as the others.

Er, as much as I have little problem believing that, do you have a source? I just went to the Senate's site, and have been searching the Patriot Act, and can't find his name listed with it, other than as an author/cosponsor of several 'riders' that went with it. But as for the main body, I can't find him listed.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

id rather a democrat than bush....oh i'm wasting my breath... forget it

Oh, I agree with the premise, but it just isn't going to happen. A third party will have to be entrentched in local politics nation-wide first.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    You guys should amend your constitution and change from first past the post voting to preferential voting. Then you can vote for minor parties without "throwing your vote away", and they end up actually getting in some times.

That single change alone would do wonders for democracy in the US of A, methinks.

Barto
  • Reply 36 of 44
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    sadly I don't think we will ever see an amendment to the constitution i terms of election reform... the only thing that will be added is civil rights and (HAH!) gay marriage legality (not sure which way)...
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Yeah, isn't that totally nuts? Discussion about a constitutional amendment for the word marriage, but no discussion about election reform.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    As in 2000, I will vote for President Bush.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    There's a reason the United States are called that. The STATES elect the President. Not the populous. Rights not reserved in the Constitution are give to the STATES. Are you seeing a pattern here?

It's called a Republic, not a Democracy.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

You guys should amend your constitution and change from first past the post voting to preferential voting. Then you can vote for minor parties without "throwing your vote away", and they end up actually getting in some times.

That single change alone would do wonders for democracy in the US of A, methinks.

I'd love to see some changes like this, changes that would make the individual candidates more important than their party affiliations, and that would -- even in a one-party election like a primary -- give people a way to express a ranked preference among the candidates.

The big problem is that the people currently in power got into power via the current system. They have no major motivation to want to change that. The existing Democratic and Republican parties would seriously hurt themselves and damage their own relevance by supporting reforms that would allow for more parties and simulataneously make parties less important.