[Merged] This can't be for real, could it??? (Apple Projector)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Or 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gen via the FireWire port...

Kinda limits the usefulness as a remote controller though.
  • Reply 62 of 113
    Man, I hope something new comes out.
  • Reply 63 of 113
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i finally see the point in apple making a projector:

IPOD KEYNOTE

if you have an apple projector, use your 4th gen ipod with bluetooth to give a keynote directly from the ipod!!!

its what we've all been waiting for (well, i have anyways...)

Um, well... How about the projector has an iPod dock and comes with a remote control.

Snap in your iPod, a menu comes up for a photo slideshow (if you have pictures on the iPod) or a Keynote presentation (if you have Keynotes files on the iPod).

Screed ...do make sure to leave you pr0n off the iPod before going to work, thank you.
  • Reply 64 of 113
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

what could apple possibly hope to gain by releasing a projector? though this could be the 600-700 dollar mystery product from a while back.

Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Why on Earth would Apple produce a projector? This ain't right

hmmm Businesses use projectors right? Where is Apple trying to gain momentum?

I think they would like a chunk of the business market, especially with enterprise. If enterprises are buying Xserve, what would stop them from looking at other alternatives that Apple has to offer?

Any of this make sense?

Think about it. Did Apple really need to develop and sell presentation software? Not to mention Apple would use Airport no doubt...

If you look at Apple's products, they typically do things that are already on the maket, they just do it better!
  • Reply 65 of 113
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krob81

It's interesting. I know that HP was working on a home low end user video projector and DVD player combo. ...

(groan) Don't tell me HP is licensing the iPod from Apple in exchange for Apple's licensing a projector...\ For crying out loud please update the computers!!!
  • Reply 66 of 113
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Or 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gen via the FireWire port...

Kinda limits the usefulness as a remote controller though.

Apple built a serial port into the top of the 3rd gen iPod for a reason

Barto

PS yes, and 2nd gen iPod too, but the physical design of the port sucks and it probably wouldn't be supported
  • Reply 67 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Guys, I work with projectors for a living. This is a massively competitive market, with manufacturers leap-frogging each other every six months with smaller/brighter/higher res.

I can spend 2k today and get a projector that is the size of a shoebox that outperforms the 200 lb. behemoth that cost me 50 grand 6 years ago.

In other words, this is not the MP3 player market. 4 or 5 of the biggest electronic companies in the world are relentlessly focused on making machines that are cheaper, brighter, quieter, have better contrast, and are easier to use that the one last month. And they've done a great job.

This just doesn't seem like a technology that Apple has any expertise or edge to bring to the table.
  • Reply 68 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

This just doesn't seem like a technology that Apple has any expertise or edge to bring to the table.

Did they have experience in making MP3 players?
  • Reply 69 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

I am leaning more towards a consumer device, not some sort of computer display. Data projectors is a way too crowded and mature market, with very little room for innovation at any price point. But a smart digital hub video projector of some sort, could rock the consumer market, in similar fashion as the iPod. [/B]

That sounds like a hot product to me... the long-rumored TIVO killer. But instead of just a settop box, it is the set AND the box. And maybe even HDTV cheaper than anyone else is doing it so far.
  • Reply 70 of 113
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

That sounds like a hot product to me... the long-rumored TIVO killer. But instead of just a settop box, it is the set AND the box. And maybe even HDTV cheaper than anyone else is doing it so far.

Apple is well known for bringing to market simple yet innovating ideas through masterfully crafted products. Top of the line devices that integrate the most complex and advanced technologies, albeit easy to use by consumers and pros alike.

While it's true that Jobs has said that people turn off their brains while turning on a TV (or something like that), peope still need a TV or similar equipment to share and display their iMovie/iDVD creations made when their brain was on. Burning a DVD and playing it back on a settop DVD works just fine, but that's because we are used to it... that alone doesn't mean there isn't an easier and/or better way to perform a similar task somewhere inside a secret Apple lab.

A special anniversary is coming... maybe it is time to Think DifferentÂ? - déjÃ* vu all over again.

Wishful thinking? Yeah... maybe... so, deal with it.
  • Reply 71 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Did they have experience in making MP3 players?

Not per se, but at heart an iPod is a hard drive with firewire and software, which is well within Apple's usual design area.

A projector, on the other hand, is mostly about a display engine, an optical path, a really bright bulb. and a lens, none of which are things that Apple does.

The closest thing in their current hardware portfolio are the LCD displays, but these are just repackaged panels from other manufacturers. They look good with Apple towers, but don't really do anything different from other peoples offerings.

I mean, really, what can Apple do to "Applefy" a projector? Do they have some kind of optics and bulb skunk works? Have they been secretly refining their lens expertise? Projectors now are not hard to use, you just plug a source in and they auto-sense what it is and set up accordingly. The size is a matter of bulb/cooling limits, and as I mentioned, this is a market (unlike MP3 players) where very large electronics firms with many years of expertise at this very thing stay up late figuring out how to make these things smaller and brighter. Somehow it seems unlikely that Apple would stun us with a cost/performance breakthrough, so what does that leave?

Some kind of all in one box? That would be a horrible idea, projectors are an even worse investment that CPUs-- they cost a ton up front, are not upgradable, and are made obsolete (or at least comparatively weak) within 18 months. Wireless? The whole point of a projector is bad-ass looking video-- by the time you compressed it enough to work with existing bandwith, you get a real big version of a crappy picture.

I just don't see it, but if there is some magic synthesis that I haven't thought of, by all means bring it on.
  • Reply 72 of 113
    I think all the buzz is comming from a german industrial student project.

There is also a picture of the 'new iMac' with projector.

Chekck out this site http://www.macned.nl/content/news/623
  • Reply 73 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by iFocus

I think all the buzz is comming from a german industrial student project.

There is also a picture of the 'new iMac' with projector.

Chekck out this site http://www.macned.nl/content/news/623

Man is that thing ugly. I hope that is not it.

The article was in Dutch. Here is the translation:

Quote:

Girl student industrieeldesign the Muthesuis University within Smock have geprobeerd the next generation iMac shape within yield. In all one's yonder 6 sketch well-informed. The utmost spectaculaire is those whereby the TFT wing is supersede through one self-contained projector. Yours desktop projects yours then wholly opportune worn the dichtsbijzijnde wall whether screen. The iMac does some suggest one successor with the Apple Cube. Through the upstairs room upwards within slide comes the projector void and the DVD R drive vacant. The girl student are wrong scheme too upon Apple voorgesteld. Unfortunately have they yet not one reaction with Apple receive. Very not via the way with the Apple LOGO. Until more information and the wholely flyer behold worn the German website: Macnews

• Reply 74 of 113
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Man is that thing ugly. I hope that is not it.

The article was in Dutch. Here is the translation:

And now in English no less.

Quote:

Students of industrial design at the Muthesius Universtiy in Kiel have made design proposals for the next generation iMac. In total they have developed 6 designs. The most spectacular is the one where the TFT monitor is replaced by a built-in projector. Your desktop is easily projected onto the nearest wall or projection screen. The iMac resembles a follow-up to the Apple Cube. By shifting the top upwards the projector lens and the DVD-R drive are revealed.

The students have also presented their designs to Apple. Unfortunately they haven't received a reaction from Apple. Not even about the use of the Apple logo.

For more information and the whole flyer, go to the German website: Macnews

HTH.
  • Reply 75 of 113
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

In other words, this is not the MP3 player market. 4 or 5 of the biggest electronic companies in the world are relentlessly focused on making machines that are cheaper, brighter, quieter, have better contrast, and are easier to use that the one last month. And they've done a great job.

Too bad 99% of the US/World's consumers don't know that:

- Home theater projectors are not "A FORTUNE"

- Home theater projectors work better than ever

- Home theater projectors aren't (that) hard to setup

- 36" HDTV 42" HDTV hell how about 6 FOOT or 8 FOOT with projectors!

- 12" / 18" Thick LDC or Plasma? Hell... how about 1cm screens!

- 100 Lbs LCD or Plasma? Hell... how about 2 Lb / 4 Lb shoebox

- People thinking about shelling out $3k to $5k on a HDTV monster 42" should really look at projectors and get 6' or 8' screens! (I did)

etc etc etc

Look at the total lack of marketing done by the big 4/5 projector makers. Where do they promote their goods? Projector World?!?! Talk about preaching to the converted... Joe sixpack ain't thumbing through tha mag while sitting on the can... He's usually watching a 13" TV he setup on the sink...

Maybe Apple could kill them in promotion alone!

Dave
  • Reply 76 of 113
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Come on everybody. get a grip. This is nonsense! There is no way that Apple are going to 'badge engineer' a projector. For the same reasons they is not going to be an Apple camera or telephone. There is simply no winning position to be had for Apple in ultra-competive commodity markets.There is no way of adding sufficient "Appleness". Yes there will be an Apple iFilms store eventually but the hardware hook for that will be the PVR/video pod products not the bloody projector. Are Apple going to be making HiFi systems as well? I don't think so.

Jeez
  • Reply 77 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Too bad 99% of the US/World's consumers don't know that:

- Home theater projectors are not "A FORTUNE"

- Home theater projectors work better than ever

- Home theater projectors aren't (that) hard to setup

- 36" HDTV 42" HDTV hell how about 6 FOOT or 8 FOOT with projectors!

- 12" / 18" Thick LDC or Plasma? Hell... how about 1cm screens!

- 100 Lbs LCD or Plasma? Hell... how about 2 Lb / 4 Lb shoebox

- People thinking about shelling out $3k to $5k on a HDTV monster 42" should really look at projectors and get 6' or 8' screens! (I did)

etc etc etc

Look at the total lack of marketing done by the big 4/5 projector makers. Where do they promote their goods? Projector World?!?! Talk about preaching to the converted... Joe sixpack ain't thumbing through tha mag while sitting on the can... He's usually watching a 13" TV he setup on the sink...

Maybe Apple could kill them in promotion alone!

Dave

Good point-- there hasn't been any kind of push into the consumer space (except for high end HT) by the projector manufacturers. Up till very recently, the market for small projectors was entirely driven by the "road warrior", power point crowd.

With the most recent DLP chips from Texas Instruments and ever better bulb tech, 2000 lumen projectors at XGA res and good contrast ratios have been creeping down towards around $1500. That's good enough to go 6 feet wide and get a very good picture, even with some lights on.

One thing though-- the bulbs on these things go for $500, and are rated for around 2000 hours. Still, that keeps getting better too.

So if apple wanted to take the guts from one of the better small projectors-- say NEC or Sharp, put in a sweet looking enclosure with some kind of Appleness (I just don't know what) and market the hell out of it as a really big ass "monitor/tv", I guess there might be some kind of market.

Remember, though, where you stick a 6' screen is a tougher choice than where you put a monitor on your desk.
  • Reply 78 of 113
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Remember, though, where you stick a 6' screen is a tougher choice than where you put a monitor on your desk.

Plus 6' screen is going to have a lower resolution than your monitor (if you have bigger than a 15" screen).

I didn't read this entire thread but another issue seems to be connectivity. How many people keep their Mac next to where they watch TV?

So would the projector come with a built in airport extreme card to allow for the transmission of MPEG-4 content and HDTV over 1000 mbs ethernet?
  • Reply 79 of 113
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Naw, that's what the set-top box is for from the other thread...
  • Reply 80 of 113
    What if we take some news and bits from past months?

Apple has a patent for a device that can change the decoration of a room.

http://www.macnn.com/news/17843&startNumber=10

And Quicktime (a core Apple pride) has the new codec PIXLET

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

They also have this Gigawire thing...

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2001/...17174417.shtml

So, putting them together, you have a projector that can be connected to a Mac via firewire... or ethernet. Before the flames start I'll tell that I'm no expert on these kind of things and that this post is just my aftermath and distorted perception.

Today, only Powermac G5s or large Powerbooks (15in and up) have Gigabit capabilities as well as Firewire 800. All macs will eventually ship with both technologies and I'm not sure which one will be first to come standard in all macs; and it's not an issue strictly of costs, it could be of possibilities and connectivity.

If Denon can push Video and Audio from a DVD to a receiver via a CAT5 cable with RJ45s (http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=4) it doesn't look far fetched that Apple can connect a mac to a projector through Gigabit and call the technology Gigawire. (OT- Why would Steve Jobs always say Jagwire?)

There's an article over at www.electronichouse.com that talks about different technologies for HDTV:

http://www.electronichouse.com/default.asp?NodeId=1695

In conclusion, maybe G5s could play a DVD and push the video through Gigabit using the Pixlet codec to an Apple projector. (Makes G5 owners grateful that there is an optical audio on the back.) And you can have a really large display for surfing the web with your bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

E.

-----

I couldn't change the waters... I just puked.